Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your kids keep up their school friendships during the summer?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM
  • 33 Replies

This has never been a problem for us, but as the end of the year approaches, my son is getting nervous about not being able to see his friends. This year was the first time he was bussed to a different school that could accomodate his IEP. He made a few really good friends, but most of them live all over the rather large district because they too were bussed into the school for the special ed program the school provides.

Do your kids keep in touch with their school friends during the summer? If not, do they pick right back up when school starts in the fall?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nebcutie
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM
My dd does keep up with her friends. We always made sure we had phone numbers before school got out.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my boys do hang out with their school friends over the summer.  We live in a rural area, so it isn't as easy to get together as those that live in a housing community or neighborhood.  Each of my boys have their own business cards that have our home phone number and their email address.  They hand those out to their friends so that they can call/email to get together.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I like the idea of a business card. I may steal your idea and print something like that up for my son since this is his last week of school.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yes, my boys do hang out with their school friends over the summer.  We live in a rural area, so it isn't as easy to get together as those that live in a housing community or neighborhood.  Each of my boys have their own business cards that have our home phone number and their email address.  They hand those out to their friends so that they can call/email to get together.

4HMomto3
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Not usually, my kids have one or two good friends that come over and those are the ones they see.   We are rural and not near the actual town so its not its not easy for the kids to get together without being driven back and forth. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Yes, we try to set up times for them to play together.

Sigmalade
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I am trying to keep up with ds'. A few of the parents have already swapped numbers. All the kids in his preschool class will be going to the same school for kindergarten so I am also hoping at least one or two kids from his preschool class are in his kindergarten class.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:08 PM
I print them out on cardstock from my printer at home. Super easy.

Quoting Reina13:

I like the idea of a business card. I may steal your idea and print something like that up for my son since this is his last week of school.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM

My daughter stays in touch with some friends and others she just picks up again with in the fall.  There are a lot of kids in our neighborhood of varying ages so she's always got someone to play with it seems.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM

They keep in touch with a couple.  We're pretty busy during the summer, so it can be hard to arrange playdates.  Mostly they just pick up where they left off when the new school year starts.

dawnnamarie
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM
I have ss's best friend's mom on Facebook. We text to stay in touch for the boys.

There's also a little boy a couple houses down that will be in kindergarten with ss. So we get them together :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)