Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Gun for an 8 year old?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 41 Replies

My husband want to buy a BB gun for my sons 8th bday because that is what he got for his 8th birthday.  I am mixed on this.  We do not live in the country so the boy will hardly ever get to use it. 

Is 8 the right age for this sort of thing?

Update:  Than you everyone who responded.  My son did get Winchester bb/pellet rifle for his birthday.  He said it was his fav gift (shows what I know).  So far, he has taken it our of the box and put it in his spot in the gun safe (locked).  Maybe this weekend he will get a chance to try it out. 

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM

It depends on the maturity of the child and how well they will follow gun safety rules. I would not have given ds1 one at that age, nor dd, but I would've been ok w/ ds2 having one just b/c he was more mature at that age than his brother and sister.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this
IDK. My boys got guns when they were 5. This is a decision that isn't right or wrong, it depends on your beliefs and lifestyle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcsmtlgy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM

We got our boys bb guns after each of them turned 5. But we live in the country and they both knew the rules. 

Pecuellar
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM

AT this point he will only be allowed to use it when his father takes him to the county, together.  He has never seen a gun, or asked for one, nor does he know that there are some in my home.  He is completely uninterested, so I kinda think my husband is buying if for himself.

Quoting wakymom:

It depends on the maturity of the child and how well they will follow gun safety rules. I would not have given ds1 one at that age, nor dd, but I would've been ok w/ ds2 having one just b/c he was more mature at that age than his brother and sister.

Pecuellar
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

We do not live in an area that would lend itsself to just going outside and shooting.  I don't think he will use it more than a handful of times.  FOr this reason, I also bought my son other gifts.

Quoting steelcrazy: IDK. My boys got guns when they were 5. This is a decision that isn't right or wrong, it depends on your beliefs and lifestyle.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Since he's not interested, I'm kind of torn on what to say. My kids do not own real guns. They are aware that dh has a couple, and that we have some of their uncle's (all locked in gun safes), and that I am not happy about having guns in our house (there is a story behind my opinion on that). They also know that I am all for them learning gun safety; both boys have learned it at Scout camp (Cub Scouts shoot BB Guns, and ds1 has earned both his Rifle and Shotgun Shooting merit badges in Boy Scouts), and dd is told in the context of the Nerf guns we have (and has shot air rifles at the state fair- DNR exhibit and Boy Scout exhibit).

No matter what you decide to do about the BB gun, since you have guns in the house, he needs to learn gun safety.

Quoting Pecuellar:

AT this point he will only be allowed to use it when his father takes him to the county, together.  He has never seen a gun, or asked for one, nor does he know that there are some in my home.  He is completely uninterested, so I kinda think my husband is buying if for himself.

Quoting wakymom:

LuvmyAiden
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids started shooting fundamentals at 4. Ds turned 8 in Jan and his early christmas gift is going to be a .243 to hunt with in the fall. DD is 6 and interested in competing with her .22. If you either get him into a class with a good instructor or your dh is capable of teaching him it's a great gift. Just like anything else it's about maturity and responsibility. He has to know that safety is safety whether it's a bb gun or a real gun and he needs to understand finality when pulling the trigger. And with a bb gun he target practice in your yard without much of a backstop so not living in country won't be an issue

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM

This threw me for a loop. I know everybody has their own thoughts but I would be worried if they don't know there is a gun in the house and know nothing about guns that if they found it for any reason they might not consider it "real". Of course, on the other hand, knowing there is one might lead them to look for it or try to show it off to friends.

DS got a BB gun when he was 6 and his first 22 at 9, both were kept locked in the gun safe. DD is 6 and doesn't have her "own" yet but will in a few years but we are able to shoot at one of our homes and go camping and the like a lot.

If you DS isn't asking for one I don't see the need to get him one. You are the only ones that can decide if he is ready. If he gets one I would set up clear concise rules about waht he can and can't do.

Quoting Pecuellar:

Quoting wakymom:

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

he is uninterested so why is it even a question what does he want for HIS 8th birthday (remind your husband its the childs 8th birthday NOT dads)  here birthday boy something you havent shown interest in might not even want or like and if you do you can "hardly ever use it" kinda seems not fair to the kid...

Pecuellar
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Thats true.  This may be a door into that subject

Quoting wakymom:

Since he's not interested, I'm kind of torn on what to say. My kids do not own real guns. They are aware that dh has a couple, and that we have some of their uncle's (all locked in gun safes), and that I am not happy about having guns in our house (there is a story behind my opinion on that). They also know that I am all for them learning gun safety; both boys have learned it at Scout camp (Cub Scouts shoot BB Guns, and ds1 has earned both his Rifle and Shotgun Shooting merit badges in Boy Scouts), and dd is told in the context of the Nerf guns we have (and has shot air rifles at the state fair- DNR exhibit and Boy Scout exhibit).

No matter what you decide to do about the BB gun, since you have guns in the house, he needs to learn gun safety.

Quoting Pecuellar:

Quoting wakymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)