Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fibbing child.

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM
  • 14 Replies

My DD has 2 BFF.

The mother of one told me that her daughter lies a bit.

Apparently she told her mother that my daughter and the other BFF were teasing her about her pants so she couldnt wear them anymore to stop the teasing. Anyway it was bogus the kid just didnt want to wear the pants she wanted to wear dresses to school.

When my DD tells me about her day i hear her telling me things about the fibber that as an adult i know are lies. But i am reluctant to label the child a liar to my DD.

kids play out their friendships and I am hoping the liar grows out of it or my DD at least realizes she gets fed bull..

DD is 6.

Any similar situations??

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
She'll figure it out. My son comes home daily talking about the fiber in his class. He's 8.5, 2nd grade. He says things like so and so said this, but I know that's not true. He just likes to tell stories, I don't know why. He called the kid out on it before and the kid got mad. So now ds tells me even though he knows its not true he just says ok so they can play together at recess. Kids are smart. They get it eventually and either learn to ignore the stories or move on completely.
DinoBabies
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM

thats good. so you never directly told him the child was making stuff up?

Quoting ba13ygrl1987: She'll figure it out. My son comes home daily talking about the fiber in his class. He's 8.5, 2nd grade. He says things like so and so said this, but I know that's not true. He just likes to tell stories, I don't know why. He called the kid out on it before and the kid got mad. So now ds tells me even though he knows its not true he just says ok so they can play together at recess. Kids are smart. They get it eventually and either learn to ignore the stories or move on completely.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I would tell my child the other child is lying.  You want her to learn that lying is something you can't get away with.

I deal with lying very directly and that seems to nip it in the bud.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I agree.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Honestly, I would tell my child the other child is lying.  You want her to learn that lying is something you can't get away with.

family in the van   Mom of four

ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:23 PM
No. I don't need to tattle on children. Like not saying you would, its just how I view the situation. Unless my son is bekievig the lies and then following and ending up in trouble it really doesn't need my intervention. Now if he was telling my son that dinosaur bones were buried at the park and then my sin skipped school to find them we'd have a talk. But just making up stories on the playground, that doesn't negatively effect my son so no need for intervention.

Quoting DinoBabies:

Quoting ba13ygrl1987: She'll figure it out. My son comes home daily talking about the fiber in his class. He's 8.5, 2nd grade. He says things like so and so said this, but I know that's not true. He just likes to tell stories, I don't know why. He called the kid out on it before and the kid got mad. So now ds tells me even though he knows its not true he just says ok so they can play together at recess. Kids are smart. They get it eventually and either learn to ignore the stories or move on completely.

ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM
And I apologize for typos. My phone screen is severely cracked, its really hard to see what I'm writing.

Quoting ba13ygrl1987: No. I don't need to tattle on children. Like not saying you would, its just how I view the situation. Unless my son is bekievig the lies and then following and ending up in trouble it really doesn't need my intervention. Now if he was telling my son that dinosaur bones were buried at the park and then my sin skipped school to find them we'd have a talk. But just making up stories on the playground, that doesn't negatively effect my son so no need for intervention.

Quoting DinoBabies:

4wildbeasts
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
When there was a girl in my daughter's class that liked to lie a lot I just helped my daughter figure it out on her own. For example she told my daughter that she owned ten horses and that she would hire my daughter to train them. Of course my 7 year old thought it was the best thing ever and could not stop talking about it. I just said something like wow she really has ten horses at her house, I wonder how she would fit them in her yard, our neighborhood is the only one that goes to that school, have you seen any yards that could even properly fit one horse.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I would also confront what I think are lies right up front.  When your dd tells you something that the liar did or said that you think is a lie, ask your dd; do you really think that is possible, do you think that really happened, etc.  Then discuss why you think it is a lie and talk about how lies hurt others and make it so others have a difficult time trusting/believing you.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I also believe in letting my son know if someone is being untruthful to him. One kid that used to ride the bus with my son, whom I now teach and will teach again next year, told my son several lies. My son told me about them and I corrected him. I don't want my son running around telling stories that he thinks are true that I know aren't.
DinoBabies
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 1:07 AM

i feel the same in my own life i cannot stand listening to anything i believe is a lie. i dont.

My own urge is strongly telling me to mention casually to DD next time it comes up ...' oh you know maybe she is saying she gave all her monster high dolls away so she cant show you them because really she doesnt have any but doesnt want to feel left out." ((most recent bull BFF told DD))

then this other string is drawing me to not get involved in childrens friendships. the childs lies have so far been harmless.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)