Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your child have a class ranking?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Max
  • 41 Replies

I've been teaching elementary school for many years and the idea of class rank for young kids never even occurred to me.

But apparently a couple of teachers at my school have shared with parents where their child ranks among their classmates. So this year for the first time I have a student and parents asking me how one child fared compared to others.

This isn't something I feel is appropriate. I see no reason to compare the students in this way. The child did very well earning great grades and high scores on state testing. But both parent and child want reassurance that he is still the highest in the grade level.

Well, he's not. He never was. But I think his last couple of teachers felt pressured to tell mom and dad what they wanted to hear.   I know everyone will be disappointed with any answer other than, "He's #1" so I don't see what could be accomplished by being honest. They should be proud of his accomplishments, not disappointed because a couple of kids outperformed him.

Has a teacher ever compared your child's performance to the other kids in the grade level in this way?

by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Nope. I've never been given my son's ranking. And I've never had parents ask me for their child's ranking either. That's crazy to me.

I do know that this year, my son had the highest AR points in his 2nd grade class because he got an award for it. But that's about it.
ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM
I'd comment, but if my view differs from yours I'll just be insulted, aonwhats the point.
ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM
So what's the *

Quoting ba13ygrl1987: I'd comment, but if my view differs from yours I'll just be insulted, aonwhats the point.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM
No. They start class rank in 6th grade, last year of Elm school here.
I don't see how it would be benificial at such a young age.

KrankyKass
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I have kids in first and third grade right now.  No, they most definitely do not have class rank.  I don't even know how our teachers would go about assigning one,at this point.  Their grades are 1-4, not A-F, and rather subjective, from what I can see.  What scale could they use to compare students, since most of their homework is graded as "P" for proficient?  IQ points?  Makes no sense.  Some parents are just a little too vested in their special snowflakes, and have to think that they're the best at everything.  Annoying.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Yes and no, but it's not something the teacher ever told us. When a student wins the spelling bee, math competition, etc. then they are the top student in that category. Outside of this, there's not enough variables to illicit the top GPA in elementary. It's a very sad situation if a parent, and subsequently a student, need to be reassured that they are the "best" in elementary school. SMH

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Not really. It's more like group ranks. Not sure how to explain but never been told mine child is #x instead it's either he is in top middle or bottom and it's by subject. So they do benchmarks and we would get he was in top half, middle or bottom. And it's more a if he is too then all they are saying is he has grasped this. Middle would be more this is where most of class is which could actually be good or bad. When they started fractions middle was actually below average just meant most of class struggling. And then low would mean they aren't getting it. Never once told your child is best or worst. It's always a grouping.

Youngest doesn't get letter grades yet but was similar theory here is were class is there is an above average and below but no top
And bottom.

I know as a special ed mom I see it different. I don't need the smartest kid I just need the best kid my kid can be. Some things come easy to him others are harder and c that he worked hard for can be a bigger accomplishment then the a that came easy.
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM

No class rankings here. The only time it was compared was in a general way when my dd was falling behind in math. She was having attention and focus issues.  We worked with her and the teacher said at the end of the year she really pulled herself up and worked hard.  That's the only way it has been used and she didn't give a specific number or child.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Our kids only have levels for where they are in their reading. It's called the Reading Ranger program.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Quoting ba13ygrl1987: I'd comment, but if my view differs from yours I'll just be insulted, aonwhats the point.

What did I say that was insulting to you?

I asked you questions and disagreed with you, but I certainly never set out to insult you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)