Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Still having accidents :(

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM
  • 23 Replies
My son is 5 and I would really like for him to start school in the fall but I don't know if he can until he is completely potty trained.

We went through a private pre-k this year and he had accidents at school most days.

Currently he is home with me during the day and we are doing bathroom trips every 45 minute. He is very stubborn though. Just now went to take him to the bathroom and he had wet and pooped in his pants. I want to scream and yell then I want to cry :( I don't know what to do or how to help him.

DS is speech delayed, has one younger sister and now I am 7 months preg

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
If he's speech delayed then you two should try to come up with a non verbal way for him to let you know he has to go. Though I'm sure you already thought of that. Call me captain obvious! A reward chart can help so can making a big fuss when he does successfully go. If he's not perfect it's ok. Let the school know. When my daughter was in kindergarten she had to bring in a change of clothes that remained at the school all year in case of an accident. I'm certain kids used them or they would not make the request.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you had him checked to make sure there is no medical reason for the accidents?

Is there a lot of jealousy going on w/ his younger sister? Adding a new baby can add to that.

Is there an older child that he looks up to? If so, maybe recruit that child to, when around your ds, make a point of saying, "Oh, I have to use the restroom. I'm going to stop playing and go, then I can come right back to playing." I know one of the things that helped things "click" w/ my oldest was, at a wedding, hanging out w/ the older kids and my bff's 1 y/o. Something about that made him decide he wanted to be like the older kids and not like the baby, and he finally started going pee in the toilet. (Pooping took another couple months and a Lego set bribe)

Have him help clean up the accidents.

Consistency and lack of reaction on your part to the accidents are probably your best bet, though. I know it's inconvenient to stop your activites to take him, and it's hard to not react w/ frustration w/ the accidents, but it will pay off.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

How frustrating!  My 5.5 yo DS is mostly good now, but he does still have the very occasional accident.  (He hadn't in a long time, but we flew to & from France (got home yesterday) and he had one accident each way, probably because he didn't want to stop watching his movie grrrr)

I agree with the advice of the previous posters.  I also would suggest getting him tested for food allergies/sensitivities.  We had DS tested & found that he's gluten sensitive & going gluten free helped a lot (it also helped with his behavior issues).

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest him get into the public preschool program and have an IEP due to the speech/bathroom issues.  Contact the local elementary school to talk with the special ed department.  This department will give you the direction you need to apply your son for services.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM
I would look into the programs in your district that might be able to help him.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Have you had him tested for other delays?  

mommy053008
by Maria on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I don't think he can attend school without being potty trained, you might want to start looking into that now. Have you spoken with his pediatrician? Is there something else going on maybe?

JanieJo
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM
I've spoken with administration at the school and they cannot refuse him because he's not potty trained. We have spoken with a ped and a counselor. No answers yet :( thanks

Quoting mommy053008:

I don't think he can attend school without being potty trained, you might want to start looking into that now. Have you spoken with his pediatrician? Is there something else going on maybe?

JanieJo
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Just the tests that the doctor did at 4 year c/u. His growth and motor skills were a little behind, too

Quoting steelcrazy:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Have you mentioned the bathroom accidents to his doctor?  If not, you really should.  Sometimes it can be a symptom of something else entirely.  Having a speech and motor skill delay along with the bathroom accidents, I would be looking into other problems.  

How are his social skills?  Does he have any texture issues?

Quoting JanieJo: Just the tests that the doctor did at 4 year c/u. His growth and motor skills were a little behind, too
Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)