Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She gave them what?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM
  • 39 Replies

NEW HANOVER, Pa. (CBS) — Students at a Montgomery County grade school were served pet treats by a recess aide, school officials said.

The incident happened Thursday at the New Hanover Upper Frederick Elementary School in New Hanover Township.

According to a statement from Boyertown Area School District Superintendent Richard H. Faidley, a part-time recess aide at the school distributed pet treats to approximately 75 fourth grade students.

The statement says the treats may have been misrepresented as cookies or crackers. Faidley said the school was uncertain how many students actually ate the pet treats.

A portion of the statement read: “Our research on the product indicates that the treat ingredients would not be harmful to people, with exception for those individuals with specific food allergies.”

A letter was sent home to parents and school administrators spoke with the families of the students in that grade with known food allergies.

Faidley said so far, there have been no reported health outcomes.

A student, who did not want to be identified, says “I thought, wow, did I really eat dog treats? I was upset that our lunch aide, that we’re supposed to trust, who is supposed to take care of us, would do that to us.”

A parent, and former lunch aide, Lynn McGuckin says, “We weren’t allowed to hand anything out to the kids.”

A fifth grader asks the question on everyone’s mind, “Who gives children dog treats?”

Local authorities have been contacted and Faidley said the employee has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The incident remains under investigation by the Boyertown Area School District.

How would you react if this happened at your child's school?

I wish that I had more info to give, however this is all that I got.  The story was on my local news and I found it fascinating how parents were flipping out over it.

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

angry

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM
So did she do it on purpose? Or were they mis labled?
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

There's not enough information for me to decide. Some of those dog treats look like people food. If it was an honest mistake, I wouldn't be upset. If it was done on purpose, I'd be pissed.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Agreed. From the sounds of it this was an honest mistake. As a parent this wouldn't upset me, especially since not one child has had a health issue. If it comes out she has some mental issue and did it on purpose to try and harm students that's completely different.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

There's not enough information for me to decide. Some of those dog treats look like people food. If it was an honest mistake, I wouldn't be upset. If it was done on purpose, I'd be pissed.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I need more info - like why was she giving out snacks if they don't normally do so?

My sons wouldn't eat them without knowing they were gluten free, though, so chances are they wouldn't eat them anyway.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I would be very upset if someone from our school fed the kids dog treats.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Even if it was an accident?

Quoting Dodie702: I would be very upset if someone from our school fed the kids dog treats.
Dodie702
by Doriane on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Yes

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Even if it was an accident?

Quoting Dodie702: I would be very upset if someone from our school fed the kids dog treats.
Dodie702
by Doriane on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Yes

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Even if it was an accident?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)