Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

When will you quit . . .

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM
  • 48 Replies

referring to your child as a "baby"?  '

I hear this all the time on CM and often wonder how long people will continue to refer to their child as a baby.  For the record, I stopped referring to my children as a baby when they turned two years old.

BTW - this is just a funny observation that I've made lately.  Not something that I'm up in arms over or anything.  Just a strange curiousity.

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Annellyse
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't know but I'm 38 and my mom still tells people I'm her baby.  LOL

mommy053008
by Maria on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM

My 6 year old was about 2-3 when I stopped calling her a baby because her sister was born. My youngest just turned 3 and I still call her my baby...technically she is the baby of the family lol. I do make it clear she is NOT a baby just that she will always be my baby. Either way she is on target for her age in speech, handwriting and otherwise so I don't worry. 

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Hmmm I'm 39 and my dh is 40 and out moms still use it from time to time. They will always be my babies. My oldest is my first baby and my youngest my last. Not like im still wiping their bum or breast feeding them and if never call them my baby in front of friends. Although maybe i will cheer come on baby cakes from the stands tomorrow when he pitches.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Do it!  That would be priceless and I'd crack up beyond belief if I was there. 

Quoting ljmom24: Hmmm I'm 39 and my dh is 40 and out moms still use it from time to time. They will always be my babies. My oldest is my first baby and my youngest my last. Not like im still wiping their bum or breast feeding them and if never call them my baby in front of friends. Although maybe i will cheer come on baby cakes from the stands tomorrow when he pitches.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Idk. They will always be my "baby" . But I don't refer to them as baby, or my baby. Very often!
MommyLehr
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Idk when they're 1-1/2 ish.

According to my husband it's on their first birthday or when they start to walk. Whichever comes first.
Howardx5
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Never. They'll always be my babies. I'll quit calling them my baby in front of their friends and such when they begin to show signs of being uncomfortable or embarrassed by it.
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM
I don't know. My son is 11 years old. So it's been awhile. I would say he was probably about 2-3 years old before we stopped calling him a baby. My daughter is 18 months old and she still a baby. We'll see when we stop with her.
mich2.0
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in the South now. I call everyone younger than me ''baby''. lol

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I don't call him baby but if someone asks how old my kids are I sometimes say that my baby is 15. Sometimes I say my youngest just depends on my mood I guess. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)