Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Field trip policy, parent involvement.....

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 113 Replies
I was a parent volunteer for the zoo field trip at my KGers, (public school) trip last month. When I arrived, I realized all the children are broken into groups and assigned a random parent to watch them independently with no school employee for the day (4 hours)

I was pretty shocked, and honestly a little disturbed that if I hadn't shown, my KGer would just be wandering around the zoo with basically a parent who is a stranger to me............

But really, this is a spin off post from mine where some wise mamas telling me to "buzz off" and it is none of my business to know or interact with my DSs classmates...............so I am totally curious about what you think of this field trip policy???
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

That's kind of strange. At my DD's school the kids are broken into groups and assigned a parent but the parent is always given the group their child is in.

Marti123
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Well, yes, the parent has their own child but then you also have random children, right? You are a stranger, no background check, just wandering around with your kid and classmates all day?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

That's kind of strange. At my DD's school the kids are broken into groups and assigned a parent but the parent is always given the group their child is in.

Kaybean
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My youngest is in 1st grade and they had a field trip to the zoo as well last week and I chaperoned and it was the same arrangement. Volunteers were given a group of 4-6 kids for the day. I only had my 1st grader and one other boy though so I only had a group of 2.
Steph1499
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Usually when you sign up to volunteer they do a back ground check at least where I live they do. I went to the zoo with my youngest daughters class and had 5 kids but we didnt wander around because the class stayed together it was more to make sure there were eyes on all the kids.  

Quoting Marti123: Well, yes, the parent has their own child but then you also have random children, right? You are a stranger, no background check, just wandering around with your kid and classmates all day?
Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Well all parent volunteers at the school have to pass a background check, but otherwise yes. I don't know, I guess I never really thought about it. I feel like the parents who care enough to volunteer are good people.

Quoting Marti123: Well, yes, the parent has their own child but then you also have random children, right? You are a stranger, no background check, just wandering around with your kid and classmates all day?
Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

MaineMammax2
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM
In order to volunteer for any reason at my daughters school you have to meet with the principal and have a background check. I volunteer for field trips often and am responsible for my child plus a few others. Most of the time her friends that I am already familiar with are in my group. I have found also it's the same group of parents that volunteer throughout the year and the kids get to know us.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this

That is the field trip policy here too.  There are 3 parent chaperones per classroom, as well as the teacher.  So students are divided into 4 groups with one chaperone per group, which is either the teacher or one of the 3 parent volunteers.  All parent volunteers in our school have to have a criminal background check, child abuse check, FBI background check, etc prior to doing any volunteer work though.

I'm not sure why you need to personally know who is chaperoning your child on a field trip.  This has never occured to me and I haven't gone on every field trip that my children have had.

Marti123
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM
If there were NO background checks for our student volunteers, does it change your opinion?

Quoting steelcrazy:

That is the field trip policy here too.  There are 3 parent chaperones per classroom, as well as the teacher.  So students are divided into 4 groups with one chaperone per group, which is either the teacher or one of the 3 parent volunteers.  All parent volunteers in our school have to have a criminal background check, child abuse check, FBI background check, etc prior to doing any volunteer work though.

I'm not sure why you need to personally know who is chaperoning your child on a field trip.  This has never occured to me and I haven't gone on every field trip that my children have had.

Sarahb21
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM

It doesn't bother me. But our school also does background checks on all parent volunteers.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Nope.  If you feel so strongly about it, complain to the day care center director.  Remember that day care centers work differently than public schools do.  If for some odd reason you are referring to an actual school in this post, take your concerns to the principal and talk to him/her about possible solutions.

Quoting Marti123: If there were NO background checks for our student volunteers, does it change your opinion?
Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)