Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

First Graders Taken to Hospital After Classmate Brings Heroin to School

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 31 Replies

First Graders Taken to Hospital After Classmate Brings Heroin to School

by Sunny Chanel 

school classroomImagine this scenario: your child's school calls your home. They say that your first grader was rushed to the hospital. Your mind would probably jump to a couple of conclusions about what happened, such as they fell from the monkey bars, got into a fist fight with another student, or had a bad fall while playing kickball. But 20 parents from Commodore John Barry Elementary School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, received a totally different, unexpected, and shocking call from the school. Their children had been exposed to open packages of heroin in their classroom. And get this ...

It wasn't just one bag of heroin, but eleven! The school was concerned that one or more of the students may have ingested some of the drug since two of the baggies were reportedly open and one appeared to have been chewed on.

Lt. John Walker of the Philadelphia police department explained, “We know that one of the packages clearly looks like it was bitten, and we do have one student saying that the young lady who did bring the substance to school did have that packet in her mouth.”

All the children in the class were examined at the local children's hospital and fortunately they were all okay, but if just one of the children would have ingested the potentially lethal drug, the story could have had a tragic ending.

What's really shocking is the age of the girl who brought the drugs to school. She is just 6 years old, 6 YEARS OLD! And while this may seem like a bizarre story, this is the second time this has happened lately. Back in May, a 7-year-old in Chester County, near Philadelphia, brought nine bags of heroin (that belonged to his grandmother) to class.

They don't know if the little girl knew what the substance was that she brought to school, but there will be consequences for the girl's mother and her boyfriend. The police said that they have searched the girl's home and that they expect to file charges against the mother and her boyfriend.

This is such a sad story. It's scary to think that some parents may be dumb enough to not just do drugs, but that they left them out for their kids to grab.

Do you think the child should be taken from the home or that the parents should be arrested?

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Gee and we wonder why 10 year olds are facing random drug tests . . .

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM

How does this happen?! I definitely think the child should be taken from the home and the parents should be arrested. If they're leaving a large amount of serious narcotics just laying around who knows what else that child is being exposed to.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Reality check...druggies have kids and arent the most responsible parents.

Sadly, this is a common occurrence these days.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

How does this happen?! I definitely think the child should be taken from the home and the parents should be arrested. If they're leaving a large amount of serious narcotics just laying around who knows what else that child is being exposed to.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! I'm picturing inner-city here, which may play a role is the 'how' question.  But regardless, that girl needs someone to care about what her home environment is like & to make sure she's safe.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

mommy053008
by Maria on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM
I definitely agree she should be removed from the home ELEVEN bags?!
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM
4 moms liked this

I teach out in the country and had a ten year old explain how to make meth to me a few weeks ago. One of my best students described how her Dad buys crack with her in the car.

It's not an innercity problem. Drug addicts have kids in every neighborhood in the country. Some just hide it better than others. 

Quoting GwenMB:

Exactly! I'm picturing inner-city here, which may play a role is the 'how' question.  But regardless, that girl needs someone to care about what her home environment is like & to make sure she's safe.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Of course I think the kids should be removed from that home.

Unfortunately I know how the system works and know even if they are taken the parents can get them back with minimal effort.

Drugs are ruing communities all over the country. Kids raised by addicts suffer in so many ways.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I agree!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I teach out in the country and had a ten year old explain how to meth to me a few weeks ago. One of my best students described how her Dad buys crack with her in the car.

It's not an innercity problem. Drug addicts have kids in every neighborhood in the country. Some just hide it better than others. 

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Which is why I said 'May'.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I teach out in the country and had a ten year old explain how to meth to me a few weeks ago. One of my best students described how her Dad buys crack with her in the car.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Sigmalade
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM

A few years ago there was an uncle that hid cocaine in his nephews shoes. The child complained to the teacher about the shoes being too tight. When she felt the toe of his shoes, she just thought he had something stuck in there. It is sad that children are being exposed to dangers by the very people who are suppose to protect them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)