Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

10 and still plays with toys - ok or not?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this

My youngest dd is 10, she still loves her Barbies and Littlest Pet Shops. She has a dollhouse that she makes furniture for - she is always cutting and taping cardboard to create pieces to add to her sets - she made an entire mini kitchen out of cardboard and fabric. This girl is crafty and really good at it. She has an amazing imagination and is always creating something or playing in her room with her toys when she's not out playing with her friends. She's not big into tv or video games, she loves reading, but would rather be off in imagination land - which I really don't mind at all, she's thinking, crafting, creating and being productive in that sense. She's always challenging herself to make something better.

Her floor is always covered in bits from her creations, bits of cardboard, plastic bags of craft foam, cardboard, felt, bins of crayons, markers, tape, etc. Her barbies are there too because she uses them to measure the size of what she's making, so are her LPS's and her Ponies, other doll house furniture, etc. Her floor is not usually tidy. Her bookshelves are full of books and more bins of little toys. Her room is a little girl's room that is PLAYED in, hardcore.

Now, at 10 yrs old, all of her friends in school claim they do not play with toys anymore. They are all involved with their techie stuff, Ipods, video games, tv shows & movies.  The friends she plays with on our street are all younger than her so she is able to play toys with them without getting teased, they love that she has lots of toys to play with.

DD has been working on keeping it from her friends that she still plays with toys. She had JUST finished convincing her friends that she didn't play with toys, that the toys she played with were the other little(younger by 3-5 yrs) girls' on the street that she was always playing with. The other girls had her back on this, they didn't want her to be embarrassed either.

However, yesterday some boys from her class came into our house while dh & I were not home from work yet. Ds let the one in to use the bathroom but two more barged in as well and made their way through the house looking at everyone's rooms. DD was not in the house when this happened, she was outside playing with her friend. Two of these are boys in my dd's class.

Ds told the boys to get out, they were not listening (they are brat kids that I would not invite in my house even if I was home!). They trucked through pretty much my whole house. They saw lots of stuff that was not for them to see (MY bedroom! Dirty laundry, etc.). They invaded our privacy.

At any rate, their comments about dd's room were "This room is TRASHY!", "Look at all the TOYS!!"

Ds told dd that's what they said.

Her world crumbled. Crashed, was done existing. She was devastated. She started crying.

HARD. She was hysterical. Mortified. Outted for being a 10 yr old kid that played with TOYS!!!

She was done, she didn't want to go to school ever again. Yes, she's wrong for lying and hiding that she's still a kid who plays with toys, but you know kids are jerks these days and I know she's dealt with bullying in the past, she had just gotten on the "Cool Kid" list at school and now her dirty little secret of toys is out in a BIG way. These boys had PROOF.

I managed to find two of the three boys this involved last night and I lost it on them about privacy - going in people's houses when they were not invited or when adults were not home - not going upstairs in someone's house to snoop through bedrooms - lost it on them! I do not think they will rat out my dd today at school, but she couldn't sleep last night, just mortified that they would.

How old were your kids when they stopped playing with toys? Is technology taking over that much that 10 yr olds don't play with toys anymore? If your kids don't play with toys do they comment about friends that do? Do they make fun of them? Are they cool with it?

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
4 moms liked this

First of all, your son needs to learn that he shouldn't let anyone into your home when a parent isn't home, no matter what the reason is. 

I have a 10 year old boy who still very much plays with toys and so do all of his friends.  They are still into Legos, and action figures and play with them when they get together.  

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought playing with toys at 10 was normal.. I know I did.. And my cousin does.
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I have a nephew who is older than me by a year and he still plays with action figures LOL.. But yes, I give my kids trouble for answering the door, but mine are quite young still, older ones are 3 and 6.

Quoting steelcrazy:

First of all, your son needs to learn that he shouldn't let anyone into your home when a parent isn't home, no matter what the reason is. 

I have a 10 year old boy who still very much plays with toys and so do all of his friends.  They are still into Legos, and action figures and play with them when they get together.  

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My girls are only 3.5 & 7.5 and still play with toys. I do baby sit a girl who is 10 and she still plays with toys with my girls and her cousin that is 7. And my friends dd who is also 10 still has a bunch of toys and plays with them when she is not outside. That is so horrible that she feels that way. I just want to hug your dd as tight as I can and save her from those feelings.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your dd playing with toys. I think it's really cool that she makes all that furniture. Can you post some pics of it? I was never crafty like that as a kid but my girls are. I would love to show them your dds stuff.
Maybe you could find a craft Club this summer and she can make new friends that have more of the same interests.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM
OMG..seriously? There is a cut-off age for toys???

I still love getting down and playing with DD, who is 11, and her zoobles and Littlest Pet shop, or the boys (13 & 16) and their legos! No, the boys dont play them like they used to, but if friends come over and bring younger boyms mine dive on in!

I would have a serious talk and probably a grounding or make him write an essay for letting the boys in. Make 'em pee on a tree! Or maybe they are not responsible enough to be left home alone for a while!

Then a talk with DD about being proud of who she is and what she likes. Be her own person and dont let others rule what she does.

One thing I love about homeschooling is that the kids are not limited by a stigma of who they can play with. DD is 11 and has 2 best friends. One is 14, the other is 9. She can easily go and hang out with either of them and just be herself. The older girl is more into music, theater and grownup stuff and the younger loves the toys and being silly. I would be heartbroken if someone tried to squash her spirit of freedom.
jewels.unicorn
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM

He knew he wasn't supposed to let them in, the one boy was "desperate" for the bathroom, this kid is also a huge bully, so ds felt obligated I think. Then it snowballed. My older girls were late coming home from school b/c of exams. Had they been home, this wouldn't have happened at all.

Ds feels bad that the boys did what they did, he was angry at them at the time.

Quoting steelcrazy:

MyNameIs-
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Your dd should be commended on her imagination and creativity. Tell her that you love her unconditionally whether she wants to play with toys or not. Let her know you will always have her back. I get that it's not the same as being one of the cool kids but at least she'll know you will stand up for her.

I don't remember how old I was when I stopped playing with toys but I was older than 10!!

Good for you for losing it on those kids. How dare they make your dd feel bad for doing something so innocuous as playing with toys!!
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM

DD is 8 and still plays with toys.  Technology is a huge part of her life and her friendslives but they all love crafts and do play with toys and they all respect individuality.  I'm sorry your DD is going through this; I can't even imagine.  I still play with my toys too.  I have an entire farm/zoo animal collection that I want to build a table for and set up so DD and I can play with it. 

June3May4June3
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM
My dd's are 9 and 7. I don't see either of them giving up toys any time soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

My 13 year old still plays with toys with her little sister (who's 9). But when her friends are over the only toy that comes out is her Nerf bow, I guess that's a "cool" toy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)