Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School's Bathroom Rules for Kids Are Worse Than in Prison

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 61 Replies

School's Bathroom Rules for Kids Are Worse Than in Prison

by Suzee Skwiot

school bathroomControlling a classroom of 20 to 30 elementary school students is no easy feat. Teachers set rules, guidelines, and limits on what the children can do in order to maintain a good learning environment. But a story of a school that is limiting kids to using the bathroom only twice a year shows us how some school rules can cause kids more harm than good.

Parents of fourth grade students at Loma Portal Elementary School are complaining that their children only receive two bathroom passes per year. Turns out, kids are using up their two passes quickly and then are not allowed to use the bathroom. Instead, if they need to use the bathroom, they have to take a detention or be excluded from activities.

That means if they have an emergency and absolutely need to use the restroom, they're punished with a lunch detention. To make matters even worse, some parents are reporting that the children have had to go to their doctors to address their bladder issues.

School is a place where kids spend eight hours per day. Sure, they may have passing periods and breaks during which they can use the restroom, but giving them two emergency passes for a whole year is beyond unrealistic. Accidents and emergencies happen all the time. Why should they have to give up their lunch just so they can use a restroom during class time?

Granted, schools and teachers' classrooms are places of structure. There needs to be rules in place in order to keep to form and manage a group of students. But it also shouldn't be a place where kids get tortured or punished for simply needing to go. Let's be real, even prisoners get toilet privileges.

Sitting through eight hours of class with a full bladder is a cruel form of torture. Just let these kids go pee already, wouldya.

What do you think of the school rule?

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Bathrooms are where MANY behavioral issues arise from bullying to drug sales (even in elementary). Teachers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. For every parent that screams that their precious snowflake should be able to roam the campus anytime they wish, there are three more parents screaming that their child is in danger. There's a happy medium, but the press never reports this.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I'm curious when the kids are allowed to go to the bathroom during the day.  If they have reasonable time to do so, then the rule may be fine. But if multiple kids are developing bladder issues from this, it would seem that there is a problem.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:27 AM
6 moms liked this

I think this is another one of those stories with lots of information missing.

There's no way the kids are limited to two bathroom trips a year. The passes are likely for emergency trips in the middle of lessons or in addition to scheduled bathroom breaks.

My students aren't allowed to use the restroom during lessons and activities. Most of the time that is about a 30 minute period where I won't let them use the bathroom, sometimes it's 45 minutes. But they know in advance when those times of day are and they have time to go before lessons start.

I do let them go for emergencies. But unless a child has a medical reason that shouldn't be more than twice a year. And if a student asks to go during lessons more than on occasion I do tell them no.

Kids use bathroom breaks to avoid unlpleasant activities. And for some students learning is unpleasant.  Making sure kids are in class to learn is responsible teaching. Allowing kids to leave the room as often as they want to is not.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM
4 moms liked this

But my snowflake will die of embarrassment if she has to pee her pants in class due to the teacher not letting her go potty every single time that the thought hits her.  After all she's only 10 years old and still learning the ins and outs of going potty.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I think it's fine, there has to be a lot missing from this article. Kids get PLENTY of time to go to the bathroom during the day. I don't remember ever really leaving class to use the bathroom in school. The breaks we got were plenty.

Mommabearbergh
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
People should be able to pee when they need to. If a good chunk rush to use the bathroom during passing time either you end up late. If people are doing drug deals it damn sure isn't in the bathroom or at least it wasn't where I went to school
JTROX
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM

The whole story is not given.  I am certain they are allowed to use the bathroom more than 2x a year.  

JTROX
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Does anyone's child attend an elementary shool that has "eight hours of class"?

If so what is the schedule?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Quoting JTROX:

I don't even think that's possible. I doubt they are even in school for eight hours. I've never heard of a school going from 8-4. But even if those were the hours kids aren't in class that long.

JTROX
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM

That's what I thought, but OP suggested otherwise.  I think it was just an exaggeration.  That would be one heck of a school day.  :)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting JTROX:

I don't even think that's possible. I doubt they are even in school for eight hours. I've never heard of a school going from 8-4. But even if those were the hours kids aren't in class that long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)