Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

All you supply haters, come here!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Max
  • 172 Replies
7 moms liked this

I'm not going to cut and paste the whole article because it's long.

But here is a blog about how teachers spend their own time and money to create and inviting classroom environment from nothing.

Have you ever really thought about what a typical classroom must look like the day the teacher moves in?

The first one shows after and before. The others are what the rooms look like when the teacher first moves in. The blogs has more pictures of decorated rooms to contrast these.

bc classroom

So I wonder if some of the mothers who get so upset about buying markers or notebooks to stock a classroom have ever stopped to think about all the things they aren't asked to supply. Typical schools give teacher $50 a year to stock theirentire room. That is supposed to cover everything from posters to hang on the wall, to books for the classroom library, to supplies for the students to do crafts with. Obviously it doesn't go very far. Especially for a beginning teacher setting up a room from scratch it costs hundreds of dollars to get a classroom to look warm and inviting.

So before you complain about buying expos for the teacher stop to consider how she buys for your child's benefit.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterfly61806
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no problem buying the supplys I get more annoyed at end of year when I get notebooks sent home with maybe ten pages used. I rather send paper or something that will be used.
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. I definitely don't mind buying the supplies. But my son brought 4 or 5 notebooks home, and like you said, maybe only a few pages were used (different subjects used different notebooks). I'm seriously considering just tearing out the used pages and sending the notebooks with him to school next year.

Quoting butterfly61806: I have no problem buying the supplys I get more annoyed at end of year when I get notebooks sent home with maybe ten pages used. I rather send paper or something that will be used.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I think for the most part you will get support here on this board.  Now go out to the MC board and moms loose their minds about having to buy crayola markers over roseart lol.  I have never complained about what my children have needed for supplies.  I have friends that are teachers in our school district so I do know how much each year they pay out of their own pockets for their students.  And seriously most public elementary school supply lists are completely  reasonable.  My DS's 2nd grade list for the coming school year is probably going to run me around $30 at the most.  I have mentioned before those that are up in arms about having to spend $25-50 for school supplies just wait till high school.  My oldest DD will be a Junior this year and is taking duel credit course.  I am looking at $500 in fees. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I think for the most part you will get support here on this board.  Now go out to the MC board and moms loose their minds about having to buy crayola markers over roseart lol.  I have never complained about what my children have needed for supplies.  I have friends that are teachers in our school district so I do know how much each year they pay out of their own pockets for their students.  And seriously most public elementary school supply lists are completely  reasonable.  My DS's 2nd grade list for the coming school year is probably going to run me around $30 at the most.  I have mentioned before those that are up in arms about having to spend $25-50 for school supplies just wait till high school.  My oldest DD will be a Junior this year and is taking duel credit course.  I am looking at $500 in fees. 

Every time someone on CM posts that thier supply list os $50-100 worth of stuff I ask them to post the list.

I've asked at least a dozens CM members over the years to post their lists. Only one actually posted it. She claimed it would cost her $100. Another member went item by item pricing everything and it was around $30 without sales.  LOL

Yes, this group is generally very reasonable about this topic. I should post it in MC and see what kind of replies I get there.

Better put my big girl panties on. LOL!

jamesmommy32404
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I have no problem with it either...And if you do it right you can catch stuff on sale too...I have a cousin who is a teacher and she has spent hundreds and hundreds to get her classroom to look inviting to teh kids so they will want to learn...

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM

A lot of parents don't realize just how expensive the boarders and cute little cut-out shapes that teachers use on their bulletin boards are.  Most teachers that I know have to replace the cute little cut-out shapes every year since they write the kids names on them.  Then remember that most teachers change their bulletin boards, yes they typically have more than one, multiple times a school year.

Granted I just teach religious education, and only change my bulletin boards 4 times during the school year, but I easily spend $50 per year on that stuff alone.

aurora.dove
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mind buying supplies, it's when it's in excess...example, we were asked to purchase 20 gluesticks this year, 5 packs of markers, 100 pencils, I don't even remember how many crayons. Every kid got that list. On the last day of school, DSD brought home a backpack with about 10 gluesticks in it, 3 packs of markers, 2 packs of crayons, and some other supplies...the teacher told them to raid the supply cabinet. So we spent a ton of money on supplies at the beginning of the year, and it seems that a lot of them weren't even used. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, seems like you may be ahead for next year's school supply shopping then. That doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, :-)

Quoting aurora.dove:

I don't mind buying supplies, it's when it's in excess...example, we were asked to purchase 20 gluesticks this year, 5 packs of markers, 100 pencils, I don't even remember how many crayons. Every kid got that list. On the last day of school, DSD brought home a backpack with about 10 gluesticks in it, 3 packs of markers, 2 packs of crayons, and some other supplies...the teacher told them to raid the supply cabinet. So we spent a ton of money on supplies at the beginning of the year, and it seems that a lot of them weren't even used. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh come on! We know that yoy decorate using only a small portion of the money you get from hoarding supplies. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I shared that same blog on my Fb earlier today. Since we are moving to a brand new building, we are having to redo a lot for the new rooms since windows and such are different dimensions. I've spent right around $200 this month to buy stuff to make curtains, a cover for my cubbies, and a skirt for a shelf. I still need to buy some other things but they are going to probably have to wait until July when I get paid again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)