Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

preparing for first grade...

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 33 Replies
My oldest just finished Kindergarten last week. I want to keep her on track for the coming year. I know she needs to work on her math skills and we have a summer reading list. But what else should she know for firat grade? What can i start to help her on so she will be prepared for first grade?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dodie702
by Doriane on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump! My dd is also going into first next school year. This will be help for me too.
wissotamum
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We like the summer bridge workbooks.  You can get them at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.  Read to her and have her pick out words that she recognizes.  Have her help you cook - measure things.  Plant things, talk about soils and sunshine and nutrients.  She can count pennies, putting them in stacks of 10.  10 stacks of 10 gets her something at the dollar store.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM
She is already reading the step into reading books on a level 1-2. She reads them to me and i will help her with words or names she doesnt know. But for the most part she sounds out everything and reads to me.

I like tge money idea. They worked a little bit with money during school but i dont think it really clicked with her. She can skip count now(5,10,15,20...10,20,30...) So that may help her with counting money better. We have three plants in our kitchen window that we talk about and water. I need to work on handwriting with her though. Some of her letters and numbers are so sloppy because she rushes through her work.

Quoting wissotamum:

We like the summer bridge workbooks.  You can get them at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.  Read to her and have her pick out words that she recognizes.  Have her help you cook - measure things.  Plant things, talk about soils and sunshine and nutrients.  She can count pennies, putting them in stacks of 10.  10 stacks of 10 gets her something at the dollar store.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessAsmommy
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Dd just finished gr 1 and Ds is starting it in the fall. Honestly we were told not to worry too much about preparing them for gr 1. They already know what is required to start the first grade so just do things like play educational games (lots of card games can be used for math practice) and reading. Let them play and enjoy summer vacation because it's a whole new world in the fall!  The work won't be scary but they tend to get culture shock when play time  and naptime (if they had it) and other activities like that don't happen anymore. But they do adjust quickly and hit their stride by the end of the first month.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I asked my dd's tax her what needs to be worked on with her for first grade. It was mainly rhyming and some other small stuff. She told me what level reading she is in. Is is in level g-I. She said 2-3 unfamiliar words per page is good for her to read.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't really "work" on anything during the summer.

They do the library's summer reading program.

Playing games like Monopoly Jr can help w/ adding/subtracting dollar amounts. Blackjack (w/o the betting, or using pretzels/cookies/candy) can help w/ mental addition.

Have her help you cook and figure out how much more of ingredients you need.

Sidewalk chalk is a fun way to work on handwriting- have her label the pictures she draws. Or writing in sand or dirt (either w/ her finger or a stick/straw).

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I always get some of those work books at Barns and Noble and then having them read 15 mins a day, five days a week.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:49 PM
We received a summer packet from the first grade teacher, including a list of the high frequency or sight words they will be focusing on next year. The teacher also included a note that indicated your child should be doing ____ at the start of the year and developing ____. Do you have any communication with next year's teacher?

I am a big fan of the Bedtime Math app. It is free, and gives a really interesting daily word problem. That, along with the library summer reading program, keeping a regular journal, and the little activity packet from the school will be what I do with DS this summer to help him prepare for first grade. We're not doing worksheets and workbooks. He gets enough of that during the year, IMO.
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:53 AM
I have no clue who her teacher will be next year and wont until the end if July/early August. She was given a summer reading packet and that was it. I found some things on pinterest for sight words for first graders and we are working on those. We spent about an hour working on sight words/handwriting and sentences yesterday. She does work for me while her younger brothers and sister nap and then after her work is done she will either lay down on the couch andcwatch a movie, read a book or ask to play outside. So she still gets to be a kid and play during the summer break. Im just worried that if we dont keep up on these certain things especially some math work then she will fall behind when school starts again.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: We received a summer packet from the first grade teacher, including a list of the high frequency or sight words they will be focusing on next year. The teacher also included a note that indicated your child should be doing ____ at the start of the year and developing ____. Do you have any communication with next year's teacher?

I am a big fan of the Bedtime Math app. It is free, and gives a really interesting daily word problem. That, along with the library summer reading program, keeping a regular journal, and the little activity packet from the school will be what I do with DS this summer to help him prepare for first grade. We're not doing worksheets and workbooks. He gets enough of that during the year, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:51 AM
They do spend the first few weeks reviewing and catching kids back up to speed. Was she struggling this year? If so, I think it's great that you are having her spend so much time on this stuff. If not, an hour a day seems like a lot to me... But you know your kid and what she needs, so I hope it goes well for you.

Bedtime Math. Really fun, and there is a daily problem for little ones so you could all do that together with some of the younger sibs.

Dollar Tree has some great materials for sight words that can make it more of a game, like dice and magnets. They even have actual games, though I've never tried them. You can incorporate sight words into almost any board game, drawing a card and having to read a word before taking your turn.

Quoting sleepy_in_va: I have no clue who her teacher will be next year and wont until the end if July/early August. She was given a summer reading packet and that was it. I found some things on pinterest for sight words for first graders and we are working on those. We spent about an hour working on sight words/handwriting and sentences yesterday. She does work for me while her younger brothers and sister nap and then after her work is done she will either lay down on the couch andcwatch a movie, read a book or ask to play outside. So she still gets to be a kid and play during the summer break. Im just worried that if we dont keep up on these certain things especially some math work then she will fall behind when school starts again.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: We received a summer packet from the first grade teacher, including a list of the high frequency or sight words they will be focusing on next year. The teacher also included a note that indicated your child should be doing ____ at the start of the year and developing ____. Do you have any communication with next year's teacher?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)