Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

"FREAKING" poll

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: Is the word "FREAKING" appropriate for elementary age children to use? I mean like "FREAKING cool" not like she was "FREAKING out"

Options:

Yes, it is fine.

No, not appropriate.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 99

View Results

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM
5 moms liked this

Meh, it's just a regular word. If they said "totally cool" it would mean the same thing. The only reasaon bad words are BAD, is because we as a society decide they are.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM
3 moms liked this

This is one of those gray areas for me personally...I occasionally use that phrase as an adult, but do I really want my kids using substitute words?  But for other kids I would certainly rather hear them say "freaking" instead of the real F word because I personally don't use those words (except in extreme situations and even then I try to not say it out loud...or too loud), but I really do not want my boys saying the real words after hearing them from other people/kids.  Once my youngest hears a phrase he loves to repeat it, especially if we tell him to stop saying it...

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I don't even let my kids use vulgarities (like "butt," "shut up," etc.) but I have no problem with "freakin'".

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

It is like any word, it depends on how they are using it and what the intended meaning behind it is. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM

It doesn't bother me at all, but then again there are very few words that I don't permit my children to use.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Doesn't bother me but my kids use wicked to describe something cool. If using in place of a not appropriate word I am just happy they used that f work not the other.

PrincessAsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I said yes but for kids 3rd grade and up. My kids are going to be in 1 and 2 grades and I just cringe when they start using this and other popular words/terms.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM
I agree.

Quoting huskermom98:

This is one of those gray areas for me personally...I occasionally use that phrase as an adult, but do I really want my kids using substitute words?  But for other kids I would certainly rather hear them say "freaking" instead of the real F word because I personally don't use those words (except in extreme situations and even then I try to not say it out loud...or too loud), but I really do not want my boys saying the real words after hearing them from other people/kids.  Once my youngest hears a phrase he loves to repeat it, especially if we tell him to stop saying it...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara170
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM
3 moms liked this

I am a bit surprised by the results of this poll. But, since my kids picked this up on the bus, I guess it would explain alot. Apparently it is OK with parents for there kids to use an offensive alternative to an offensive word as long as they don't accually use the offensive word? So it would be OK if their kid walked around with a cigarette as long as they didn't light it? Same exact thing! 

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I agree

Quoting huskermom98:

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN