Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Supply KITS

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM
  • 34 Replies

I want to talk about a specific angle on the supply list discussion:  SUPPLY KITS

For the first time this year I am ordering the kit instead of buying the stuff myself at Target, etc.  My main reason?  Convenience.  Not only that I don't have to do the shopping but also because the kit is delivered directly to the childs desk so we don't have to lug the stuff into the classroom.  Added convenience.  But on top of that, in past years I have bought the stuff myself and I don't see much of a difference in how much I spend.  Meaning, I don't think the kits cost a ton more than just buying it yourself.  I know last year when I went supply shopping I ended up spending $200.  Now I doubled up on a lot of stuff like crayons, markers, glue, etc but not stuff like folders, binders, etc.  So the doubling up added to what I spent.  But still.

Here's my kids lists and what the kit will cost:
SECOND GRADE
3 - Dry Erase Markers
1 - Composition book
2 - Sharpie Markers Ex Fine
1 - Roll invisible tape
1 - Yellow Highlighter
4 - Canisters Antibacterial wipes
1 - Blue Spiral Notebook
1 - 8oz. Hand Sanitizer
1 - Pad yellow post it notes
1 - Orange 2-pocket folder
4 - Pink Erasers
2 - Sharpie Markers Fine Pt
1 - 4oz washable Glue
10 - Glue Sticks
2 dozen #2 Pencils
1 - Pencil Box
1 - 8-color watercolor set
1 - 24 Box Crayons
1 - 8 Box Markers
1 - 12 Box Colored Pencils
1 - Kid Scissors
1 - 2-pocket red folder
1 - 2-pocket blue folder
1 - Red Spiral Notebook
1 - Wirebound Sketchbook
1 - Box Tissue
1 - Roll Paper Towels
1 - 3-ring binder
1 - Earbuds w/wind up case
PRICE FOR KIT:  $56.64

FOURTH GRADE
1 - 7 pocket expandable folder
1 - set 3 ring, 5 tab dividers
1 - Spiral Portfolio 8 pocket
1 - Fabric pencil case 3 hole w/grommets
1 - container disinfectant wipes
2 - Glue sticks
1 - Dry Erase eraser
1 - Wirebound sketchbook
1 - 4oz Glue
1 dozen #2 pencils
2 - Red pens
1 - 8 set Markers
2 - packs filler paper
1 - 24 box crayons
1 - 12 set colored pencils
1 - 8 color watercolor set
1 - 4 pk dry erase markers
2 - 3 prong report covers
1 - 12" ruler
2 - box tissues
1 - roll paper towels
1 - kid scissors
1 - yellow sprial notebook
1 - blue spiral notebook
1 - 3 ring binder, 1/2"
1 - red 2 prong folder
1 - blue 2 prong folder
1 - Composition book
1 - Sharpie Marker fine pt
PRICE FOR KIT:  $59.86

In addition, each FAMILY (not per child) is to provide 3 reams of copy paper. 

So what do you think of our kit prices per list?  Reasonable?

Also, does your school offer kits?  If so, do you buy them or do you go do the shopping yourself?  What is your reasoning?

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM
3 moms liked this

I wish more schools had this option, if the schools my kids have gone to did this, this would be me...

nevercare
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this

My kid's school does offer supply kits. I used it when she started Kindergarden, and thought it was nice that the kit was delivered right into the classroom. But the next year the school/or the comany in charge changed the delivery, and the kit would be delivered to our house and we would be charged for shipping, which was around $10! So I didn't buy and instead, went to Target/Amazon.com/Walmart to get the supplies. That was when I realized that actually buying the supplies myself was much cheaper than getting the kit. I think if you love the convenience, go for the kit; but if you have some spare time and like shopping, just go to Target two weeks before school starts.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't use this option. My kids love going and picking out their own supplies and putting their personal touches on things. It gets them excited for the upcoming school year too. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:19 AM
No they don't but I wouldn't do it anyway. We are happy buying supplies.
toriandgrace
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Same here! Plus I have a preschooler at home and I like to get lots of supplies for crafts at home.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I wouldn't use this option. My kids love going and picking out their own supplies and putting their personal touches on things. It gets them excited for the upcoming school year too. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Our school doesn't offer kits. While I can certainly appreciate the convenience of them, I love going supply shopping with the kids. I loved it when I was a student too. It's like the official start of the school year to me. I think the kit prices sound reasonable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Unchained_Woman
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I think that the pricing sounds pretty reasonable. I usually spend around $50 to $60 on supplies for my son. He will be going into 5th grade this year, and the supply list is shorter than it has been in the past. So we may save some money, but who knows :) I don't think that our school district offers kits, but I actually enjoy taking him to shop. Of course, I only have one kiddo, so I only have to do it once. I can imagine with multiples, I probably wouldn't enjoy it quite so much, LOL!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Unchained_Woman:

I think that the pricing sounds pretty reasonable. I usually spend around $50 to $60 on supplies for my son. He will be going into 5th grade this year, and the supply list is shorter than it has been in the past. So we may save some money, but who knows :) I don't think that our school district offers kits, but I actually enjoy taking him to shop. Of course, I only have one kiddo, so I only have to do it once. I can imagine with multiples, I probably wouldn't enjoy it quite so much, LOL!

You know, I used to kind of enjoy taking them shopping, letting them be a part of picking out their supplies.  But last year it just seemed chaos.  I have two kids I'm shopping for, so I'm helping both of them find what they need.  They end up going in two different directions.  There are a lot of other people there at the same time, with their kids going in different directions.  Everyone has a cart because their getting so much stuff, but there is only so much room for so many carts.  Plus it's inevitable (has happened every year) that there are one or two items on the list that can't be found at Target so I end up going to a different store to get them.

Yeah, not my idea of fun.  I'll gladly order the kits and be done with it.  :)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Seems reasonable to me.  Our school is a little odd, they order classroom supplies in bulk for the students, the PTA pays the bill.  This way the teachers are getting exactly what they want, we are getting a discounted price since it is ordered in bulk, and ultimately the families are paying for it since they support PTA fundraisers all year long which pay for the supplies, not to mention parents aren't out fighting the crowds shopping for the stuff.

Now for the thing that cracks me up more than anything, if you go into our local Walmart, they have a supply list for every grade for our school.  I'm not even sure where they get it since students don't bring anything other than a backpack and lunchbox.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I think the kit seems very reasonable. We don't have that option where I teach/where my son attends.

I don't mind shopping too much because I usually get things for my classroom at the same time. But kits would be much easier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)