Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your kids know?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM
  • 25 Replies
What the Dewey Decimal system is? Or what a card catalogue is? Or what the "world wide web" is? I think I was in high school when it changed to the term Internet. And until high school I had to look up all my information for assignments via the card catalogue and the Dewey Decimal System.

These days almost everyone has a smartphone or at the very least a cell phone. Elementary kids are using laptops now. We didn't even have a computer we could type out assignments on until I was in middle school. If I needed to type an assignment out, I had to use the computers in the school computer lab before then. And only had to do one or two. I was in fifth/ or sixth grade. How old were you when you first started using the internet for school assignments (or if you graduated before the rise of the internet/ world wide web what year did you start using it?) Did you type up your assignments using a computer or typewriter and what age were you?
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM
3 moms liked this

sidesplittinglaughter Honey, our version of a computer when I was in school was a Zerox Memory Writer.  I never used the internet (or World Wide Web for that matter) for school assignments.  I graduated college in 1994, so I was in the work force when the internet came of age.

bannannagirl
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:53 PM
We had a very old Apple Computer we played games on. The colors were red/pink, green and yellow. Oh and black and white. We had to type in commands lol. I started middle school when you were in college. At that point the internet was still referred to as the world wide web.

Quoting steelcrazy:

sidesplittinglaughter Honey, our version of a computer when I was in school was a Zerox Memory Writer.  I never used the internet (or World Wide Web for that matter) for school assignments.  I graduated college in 1994, so I was in the work force when the internet came of age.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM
No my younger boys don't know what those are, I'm not sure about my older boys.
I typed my assignments on the computer. I was in high school when I started using the Internet.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I learned how to use the internet in college. I got scolded for citing online resources in my senior thesis and had to take them out. I did type things for middle and high school, but I don't think it was required.

My son and my students do learn the Dewy Decimal System in school. They use an online card catalog so the days of knowing what's on the card and what drawer to find things are long gone.

When my students do research it is mainly online. But they do use books as well.

ausomezombie2.0
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Yes I think she does
bannannagirl
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM
I don't miss those days. I like the online cataloging system. Much easier. Lol.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I learned how to use the internet in college. I got scolded for citing online resources in my senior thesis and had to take them out. I did type things for middle and high school, but I don't think it was required.

My son and my students do learn the Dewy Decimal System in school. They use an online card catalog so the days of knowing what's on the card and what drawer to find things are long gone.

When my students do research it is mainly online. But they do use books as well.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I was in 6th grade when a computer lab was created in my school.  That was in 1982.  It wasn't until I was in college when I had my own personal computer (1988) and connected to the internet somewhere around 1992/1993 when I had to purchase another computer capable of having internet service.  My parents didn't get cable until I was in college and seeing Michael Jackson's thriller video years later wasn't the same.

My kids learned the Dewey Decimal system in math and vaguely knew about it from using the library when they were younger.  They still use it to find non-fiction books on the shelf. They use my old typerwriter and calculator.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I teach the reading merit badge and the dewey decimal system is part of it. We talk about card catalogues but they have to show proficiency with the online catalog.

My Dad was an early WWW geek and we had a "portable" commodore 64 that was the size of a suitcase...lol with like an 8in screen. I thought I was the bomb!
jackiewal10
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I was in college before I used the Internet for school assignments.  The Internet existed while I was in high school, but that was back when we weren't allowed to use it for school.  I was also in high school before having to use a computer for assignments.  SOME assignments in junior high were typed, but only those from "computer lab".

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM

My dad had one of those for work.  Everyone, including teachers, thought that I was crazy when I told them that my dad's computer at home "talked" to his computer at work over the phone lines.  I didn't know how else to explain it and they all thought that I was absolutely nuts!  lol  I can still see the bright green letters on that tiny black screen.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Yes, I teach the reading merit badge and the dewey decimal system is part of it. We talk about card catalogues but they have to show proficiency with the online catalog. My Dad was an early WWW geek and we had a "portable" commodore 64 that was the size of a suitcase...lol with like an 8in screen. I thought I was the bomb!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)