Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

when time out stops working

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM
  • 24 Replies

my lil girl is 4 almost 5. time outs have stopped working whats another way to punish her without spanking?she will not leave the cat alone she seems to push, pull on or chase the poor cat everywhere also what are some realistic rules for her regarding the cat ?

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Something that I've done is to do to my kid what they were doing to the cat or other people. My oldest was a biter and nothing I did stopped her until one day I was at my wits end and she bit a little boy drawing blood that time so I bit her and after that she never bit another kid. She didn't understand that it hurt the other person and that was why the punishments didn't work but after I bit her and she felt the way that her victim felt she stopped. Maybe start doing to her what she is doing to the cat. If she yanks the cats tail then you yank her hair and tell her that is what it feels like to the cat, if she pushes the cat do the same to her so that she can understand that her actions are causing pain to the cat. She may not really realize that what she is doing is hurting the cat and showing her just might be what she needs in order to understand.

As far what you can impose for rules with the cat? There really aren't any other than don't allow her to be alone with the cat. 

When my kids were growing up we had a cycle that would happen with punishment. 1st was the time out when that stopped working we'd go to taking away a privelage or loved item when that stopped working then it was grounding when that stopped working then it was spanking. The kids only required one or two spankings before time outs worked again. It was a cycle we went through as the kids grew up. Once they were teens the groundings and privelage removal worked all the time. 

Linda_Runs
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I am pretty much the same here.  I don't like to punish with a spanking, but after many warnings about staying in time-out, a spanking got that message through.

momtoonein06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Does she have a favorite toy or tv show? Tell her next time she pulls or pushes the cat you will take away that fav toy or wont be allowed to watch her fav tv show.

After she pulls or pushes the cat go get the cat and have her pet her and tell her while she is petting her that we use gentle touches on the cat, make her pet her 5 times.
PeachQuean
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Mine write lines, they started in kindergarten so they were 4 yrs old.

Now at 6,12 they still do when it's needed.

I hate time outs, some days I don't have time to put a kid back on time out forty times. Lol

So we do lines and the kids hate it!
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I have used a behavieral chart with awards. a small award first then a large award at the end of the week.  When not listening after 3 warnings I write a written strike on the chart.   While using the BC also teach her how to treat the cat.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM

What is one of her favorite things to do?  Whatever it is, take it away.  You can take it away in increments or entirely. 

For example, if it's TV and she normally gets to watch it for an hour....she gets 15 minutes taken away for the day each time she does it.

linz04060913
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Time in. Sit with your dd and talk about it. Help her understand why she is doing what she's doing. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM
We ground
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM

take away privlieges.

family in the van   Mom of four

ladyvamp5489
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM

grounding works for my kids, or taking privileges away(electronics/tv/pc time)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN