Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How far would you travel?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM
  • 43 Replies

My 9 year old son plays sports for our local recreation league. This year our league realigned with other leagues. Now we will be traveling up to an hour away for some games. It's not really a big deal to me because I live in the metroplex and it takes 30 min to an hour to get anywhere anyway but several of the parents whose kids have played for years are complaining about the changes and the travel.

Now this isn't an elite or select league, just a regular recreation league. Would you travel an hour away for your kids sporting events at this age? They seem to think that if enough parents are against it then they will go back to the way it was. 

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bella_x3
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM
For a rec league? No probably not.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM

for a rec-level sport, no.  My child would have to be SERIOUSLY into the sport...

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM

If my kid enjoyed it sure.

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM

IF it were a once a week thing it probably wouldn't be a big deal for us. DD isn't involved in many activities, I only work part time, and we drive a lot to other places. So we've adapted and our schedule isn't very full.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Not for a rec league. I'd travel an hour for an elite level league, but not for a basic one.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I think that is exactly why they are having issues with it. It is not Elite or Select.

Quoting GwenMB: Not for a rec league. I'd travel an hour for an elite level league, but not for a basic one.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM

No way!  All of our games have been within 20 minutes of our house.  I doubt I'd travel an hour away for an elite game either.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM

My kids do not play sports, but I seriously doubt I would be willing to drive that far just for a rec league.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Next year, we will have to travel for my youngest baseball games.  I already travel to watch my other kids do their sports and some of that is more than an hour.

family in the van   Mom of four

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM
One reason we don't do pop Warner. For some odd reason we are districted with towns 45 min south in no traffic. We live in a very thickly populated area with many other bordering towns under 10 min away but nope we only play one of them.

Now ds plays baseball and wanted do summer league but dh said no because it's travel but it's all neighboring towns. We travel farther for hockey but that's his sport. So guess answer is if it's something dh wants them in yes if it's choice no. Now to his defense I don't drive so he has to get him there
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN