Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Peer Relationships woes

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

my 5 year old an his problems with Peer Relationships. He is a cheerful child, likes to make friends, is liked by his teachers and is very well socially accepted. However, everywhere he goes to like school or activity classes he gets hooked to one friend and gets very possessive about that one friend. For e.g in his dance classes he always wants to be with a friend Arjun and if Arjun does not stand along side him he gets upset. Another example is in his school bus if his friend Riyan does not sit with him he starts crying or looking for ways to woo Riyan to sit with him like offering chocolates. I feel this is not a healthy way of having/building relationships. Please advice

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeachQuean
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:16 AM
You need to teach him what giving people space is and means.

It's not healthy to get so attached to a friend like that. At least not IMO.

Teach him that other people control where they want to.stand or sit, and it does not men they don't like him anymore, they just need space sometimes and like to play or talk to other kids as well as him.

If that makes sense
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Is he an only child? I agree with the previous poster. He needs to be taught/learn some boundaries.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM

My son seems to have latched on to one kid for each of his grades.  He doesn't cry or anything.  But it seems that all the students like him.

family in the van   Mom of four

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Work on his self-confidence over the summer, as well as boundaries and personal space.

iamaproudparent
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated :)

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Does he act that way about anything he wants and doesn't get or is it mainly with attention?

I also am curious if he's an only child.
iamaproudparent
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:07 AM

He's not the only child.. He has a younger brother 1+ years old.

He doesn't behave that ways for everything

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Explain to him that no one likes a clingy friend.  He needs to give his friend the freedom to do other things and be with other people.  Just like he has the freedom to do other things and be with other people.  Explain to him that this doesn't effect their friendship.  It improves it actually because now they know more people and can do more things than they could before if they had only stuck with each other.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

The only suggestion I can think of is to have ongoing frank discussions about respecting boundaries and being less possessive of his friends. Try to use age appropriate language, and try role-reversal where he pictures himself in his friend's shoes.

DyslexiaParent
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Check out the book 

Teaching Your Child the Language of Social Success.

It is very helpful for knowing how to directly teach a child social skills. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)