Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much money do you give your kids for . . .

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM
  • 35 Replies

purchasing souvenirs and trinkets on a trip? Does it make difference if you go somewhere like Disney or Sea World as opposed to a weekend road trip? Does age make a difference?

DD always finds something she really wants to have. Sometimes we get it sometimes we don't. I am considering give her X amount of money to spend as she wishes. We will be heading out tonight and will stop at one of 2 places for dinner both of which have gift shops she loves and I am trying to decide how I want to deal with the gotta have it, please, etc. 

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM

We don't have a set amount and we don't have buy them a souvenir to the places we go to.  It's been 6 years since we've been to Disney so it's hard to say.  If I had to put a price tag......I would say $20

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM
They usually use their allowance to buy souvenirs, but DH and I usually give them a little extra. Like, $10 for a small trip, or $20 for anything that involves an airport (they love to get souvenirs at every airport, lol).
mgm_5
by Mari on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Usually 20 bucks is the norm for elementary, when my son went on his 8th grade trip to 6 flags I have him 60
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM

When we went to Gettysburg last summer for the 250th anniversary of the battle, I gave each of my boys $50 to spend on souvenirs.  They each had some money of their own as well, but I don't recall how much. However, Gettysburg to them would be similar to Disney to other kids. 

For smaller vacations, I give them $20 each.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM

How old is your dd? Does she understand the concept of money and can she handle money (does she know dollars/cents/etc)? If not, there's no point, imo, to giving her a specific amount - she won't understand it and you'll end up in the same place.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM

She is 6 but yes she fully understands the concept. She can calculate how much change is due from a purchase faster than the cashier can enter it, LOL.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

How old is your dd? Does she understand the concept of money and can she handle money (does she know dollars/cents/etc)? If not, there's no point, imo, to giving her a specific amount - she won't understand it and you'll end up in the same place.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:01 PM

With having four kids, on the rare occasion that we did go on a road trip, if it was cheap enough, we would get it.  Now the older three are older so they save their money and buy what they want.  So, that leaves our youngest and as long as it's not too extravagant, we end up getting it.

family in the van   Mom of four

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:14 PM
My FIL gave each grandchild $20 when we went to Disneyland. That seemed to be about right for the younger kids. My 11 year old opted to save it and buy clothes after. We are going to Universal Studios tomorrow and I had not even thought of souvenirs.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:34 PM
We aren't big vacation people. Usually when we go away it's to my family vacation home so since we go there a few times a year suveniers seem pointless but on the few occasions we do go someplace i keep the budget small like $10-20 between the 2 to get something. If I don't limit them they pick something they could have gotten at home. Usually you can find key chains and snow globes or similar stuff for between $5-10. They each get an allowance so if they want more then a knick knack they can spend their own money.
momtotwo08
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM
We really don't set an amount. If they see something they like and it's not outrageous then we get it. We just spent a week at the beach and probably spent $150 on things for each child. When we do day trips it's usually around $20 or $25.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN