Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Exception policy???

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:58 AM
  • 28 Replies
I have a bit of a dilemma.

I don't want DD starting school next month because she won't be at the school for long. Maybe only about a month. The she will transfer and end up at school somewhere else. I don't want her going through all of those changes because she's already been through so many in the last 6 months. So I'm wondering, has anyone ever heard of an exception to where a child doesn't have to start school when everyone else does? Little background: me and her dad are military, stationed in 2 different states. I'm deployed and he has her now but will be getting out of the army in December.

I'm trying to keep from having her start in one state just to go to another state. I'm also trying to come up with ways to get her to my home base and in school in day 1 cause I really really don't want her being the new kid.

She's only starting Kindergarten.

ETA: Just looked it up. Kindergarten isn't mandatory in Georgia but kids can't go to 1st grade in Tennessee without going to kindergarten so it actually works out for me. Thanks ladies!!!
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetfox3
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:05 AM

check the state's department of education site.  Her dad may be able to submit a letter stating that you guys are delaying kindergarten entry because she is "not ready" for social or emotional reasons and would benefit from another year of preschool.  Some states, the compulsory education age is older than 5 or even 6, so she might not even be required to start school this fall.  if all else fails, he could "register" her as a homeschool student.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Check your state laws and file an intent to homeschool.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Do you know where you will going? When does school start there?

In Jr high I had a friend transfer from another state. When they moved there was 2 weeks left of school where they were and a over a month here. Her and her siblings where given waivers where they didn't have to school until the fall because they had pretty much finished the year in the school where they were.

I am wondering if the new school has a later start date you can hold off and just start her then.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Just don't register her in the current place. I don't think people will come looking for her. The system won't know she really exists until you actually register her somewhere.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM

That's what I was thinking, too.

I assist with the kindergarten registration process at our school and we never know how many students we are going to get until their parents actually call the school to register.  Now I'm not sure how it would work where you are moving to since she wasn't already in school prior to the move.

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Just don't register her in the current place. I don't think people will come looking for her. The system won't know she really exists until you actually register her somewhere.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I would have to agree with this.

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Just don't register her in the current place. I don't think people will come looking for her. The system won't know she really exists until you actually register her somewhere.

family in the van   Mom of four

geekymom08
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I'm not sure that would work. By law, my child must attend 160 out of 180 days of school to be promoted. Meaning they can miss only 20 days a year. When you enroll, I'm sure the days/hours she wasn't enrolled in school would count against her. A kid in my child's class moved around a lot this year. She attended 3 schools this year. She understood and the kids understood. But she had to be enrolled during each move.

I would talk to the school admin office and ask to make sure it's ok or I would enroll her where she is now and then move her when the time comes to be on the safe side. Wouldn't want her to fail due to the amount of days she missed and wasn't enrolled.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

That isn't the rule in every state, especially since every state has a different amount of days (hours) that students must attend to make up a full school year.  Basically, not every state goes 180 days, some go more, some go less.

Quoting geekymom08: I'm not sure that would work. By law, my child must attend 160 out of 180 days of school to be promoted. Meaning they can miss only 20 days a year. When you enroll, I'm sure the days/hours she wasn't enrolled in school would count against her. A kid in my child's class moved around a lot this year. She attended 3 schools this year. She understood and the kids understood. But she had to be enrolled during each move. I would talk to the school admin office and ask to make sure it's ok or I would enroll her where she is now and then move her when the time comes to be on the safe side. Wouldn't want her to fail due to the amount of days she missed and wasn't enrolled.

geekymom08
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM
My point is... I don't think she can just miss a large amount of time with out it counting against her or them holding her back. I know every state is different.... I see it with many of my CM friend who share a closer relationship with me. I think her situation has 2 options. Enroll now and move, or hold the child back another year (some parents do it for other reasons) and start the child next year. If I'm wrong... And a school will allow her to not enroll until whenever and just pick up where they are, I'm sorry. But all the schools I know of, don't give you the option to enroll a child in school later in the year without being enrolled previously at a school where they started the school year at. They would make her wait until next school year to enroll her.

Quoting steelcrazy:

That isn't the rule in every state, especially since every state has a different amount of days (hours) that students must attend to make up a full school year.  Basically, not every state goes 180 days, some go more, some go less.

Quoting geekymom08: I'm not sure that would work. By law, my child must attend 160 out of 180 days of school to be promoted. Meaning they can miss only 20 days a year. When you enroll, I'm sure the days/hours she wasn't enrolled in school would count against her. A kid in my child's class moved around a lot this year. She attended 3 schools this year. She understood and the kids understood. But she had to be enrolled during each move.

I would talk to the school admin office and ask to make sure it's ok or I would enroll her where she is now and then move her when the time comes to be on the safe side. Wouldn't want her to fail due to the amount of days she missed and wasn't enrolled.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I would be checking your state laws.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)