Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

For those who want advice on basic fact practice

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
4 moms liked this

Hi all!  I am a math teacher and have been asked many times recently by parents of DD's friends how to practice math facts.  I also see on here people who don't want their kids doing apps or flash cards and don't want them to do rote work during the summer.  BUT, basic fact practice is SO important, especially for those kids who struggle to retain them.  So, here are a few suggestions for things that help develop automaticity with basic facts that are not flash cards, apps or workbooks:  (and, let me say, I don't see any of those ways as bad either!)

Blackjack - teaches reasoning along with quick adding skills

any board game where you move after rolling 2 dice...start playing them early, in preschool or kindy and your child will nicely move through counting the dots to adding them together to quickly knowing sums

yahtzee/Farkle - great for bridging addition with multiplication

Monopoly or Life - keeps using basic facts and fosters place value higher up

Many, many, many other card games also do this same thing.  Add other games that you see helping math skills!

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Thank you.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Thanks for the helpful info.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Thanks for posting!

family in the van   Mom of four

jamianne
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Thanks for posting this!  DS is pretty good with his math facts, but I always like new fun ways for him to practice.  :)

tcallisto
by Theresa on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Thank you! My 8 year old hates math but loves games so this will help. 

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Thanks! My son does a lot of math with Pokémon and doesn't realize it.
MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Yes, classic games are an excellent fun way to strengthen math skills. http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/GamesGames.html has free on-line Brain Cardio games (Math, Memory, and Strategy Games) for everyone, including the classics: Sudoku for Beginners (4x4), Sudoku Jr (6x6), Yahtz 'A Dice, Chinese Checkers, Checkers, Battleship, Tick Tac Toe, and Snakes & Ladders. If your child is struggling with Multiplication Tables or Division. instead of learning 288 facts, you learn the multiples sequences in song (http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.html#mathBooks) and discover the 10 multiple pattern rules. Of course you inverse these 10 rules for division.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)