Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Raise a Goodwill Superstar Challenge Day 1: Embrace Differences

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM
  • 62 Replies

Children begin to notice racial and ethnic differences between the ages of three and five. As moms, it helps to have an open line of communication and answer any questions your kids may have. Today's challenge is to talk to your kids about the importance of embracing diversity.

Here are some tips:

• Model Behavior- Your kids are watching you all the time! They will emulate how you treat people whether your actions are subtle or overt. Lead by example by widen your circle of friends to include people from different backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
  • Silence Indicates Acceptance- If your kids say or do something that shows bias or prejudice, call attention to it. Tell them not to say it, how it can be hurtful, and ask them why they did it. If you remain quiet, they will think what they said or did is okay.
  • Praise Positivity- Be sure to praise your children when you see them display behavior that shows respect and empathy for others.
  • Talk About Differences- When talking to your kids, acknowledge the ways people are different. Discuss all the positive things about the differences like music, food, culture, etc.

teen boy teen girl
Do you actively teach your kids to embrace diversity? How old were your kids when they started to notice how people are different? Have there been any teachable moments with your kids that stand out?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 American Express gift card!

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Bolin
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Great Tips!! This is something that I would love to see more from parents in my town and everywhere. My oldest daughter is 6. I really haven't had to explain anything to her just yet. She hasn't noticed any difference of skin color from anyone and does not care. I have taught her to be kind to everyone even if they are mean. KILLEM WITH KINDNESS!! I teach her that we are all the same and to love one another. Im truely blessed to have a sweet hearted little girl and I will teach the same to my youngest daughter as we go along. We definatly love learning about other cultures. Especially Food!! My best friend is puerto rican and her dad made us some amazing food and taught us things before he passed away. We LOVE chinese food and try to follow what they do during meals. Great fun and learning!!

Juniper53098
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Our community doesn't have a lot of diversity.  Most of the population is either white or hispanic.  One of my son's best friends is hispanic.

chrisdz
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I tought my kids this starting around age 4. They are now 10, and almost 12, and treat people as people, regaurdless of race , dissabilty etc.  Such a good behavior to instill in our young ones!

chicken13
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's one for you to teach your children...

some people wear their illness or disability on the outside, some people wear it on the inside.  The child in the wheelchair may not be the one who is terminally ill. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM

We do not live in a very diverse community but I teach my children to embrace diversity. My oldest is 7 and is just now talking to me about differences in people. She is very fascinated by the fact that different cultures dress differently.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Our kids do not even notice differences yet. We have not really talked about it but have exposed them to friends from all types if backgrounds.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Sometimes I think pointing it out is what triggers a child to even realize there is a difference at a young age
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM
The other day dd4 said I am different and I asked why her response....because I cannot whistle.
mama2b100808
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Oh yes I do. My daughter is 5 and she has noticed some are different. Yes, We tell her just because someone is a different color doesn't mean we aren't the same. 

lasombrs
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM

awesome i does these things every day. MY son has autism and doesnt pick up on some things so i make a big point of pointing thigns out, telling him how everyone doesnt have to do things 100% the way he does and how thats ok. etc. I always praise them and i always point out the other stuff. DH says i constantly bicker with them but i am not fighting with them. But if i dont tell them what they did wrong, why its wrong and what to do next time how will they learn? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)