Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Raise a Goodwill Superstar Challenge Day 3: Be Yourself!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM
  • 55 Replies

Peer pressure in school can make it tough for kids to embrace who they really are. It's important to teach your kids not to lose their identity because they worry about what others will think. Today's challenge help your kids embrace their individuality!

Here are some tips to get you started:

• Read books to your kids that encourages them to embrace being an individual and being themselves.
  • Let your kids choose their own clothes. Kids know what patterns and colors they like best. Let them express their style and individuality in their wardrobe and resist the urge to change them.
  • Listen to their stories and how they express themselves through art. You can learn so much about your kids' interests and how they see the world through the stories they tell and the pictures they make.
  • Be a role model. Lead by example by embracing your own individuality. Show your kids that they can live life and be exactly who they want to be.

Did you worry about what others thought when you were a kid? How about now? Do you worry about your kids caving to peer pressure and sacrificing their own individuality?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 American Express gift card!

Join Our "Raise a Goodwill Superstar" Challenge! Win $50!

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM
No and no.
Yes sometimes
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Did you worry about what others thought when you were a kid? No, I was always a take it or leave it kind of kid.  I never seeked anyone's approval.

How about now? I worry a little bit more now because I don't want it to come and bite DD in the butt.  If we didn't live in such a small town I wouldn't care so much.

Do you worry about your kids caving to peer pressure and sacrificing their own individuality?  Yes, I do.  It's important to DD to be well liked so I constantly remind her that it's better to be well liked for who she is than to have a bunch of fake friends and not know who she really is.  So far she's found a good balance but I still worry.  She's definitely not a push over and that makes me happy.

sunset1081
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Did you worry about what others thought when you were a kid?...i think yes i was scared to just be me and being laught at i was the kid who never raised my hand thinking what if im worng...
How about now? I still care to a point what people think of me I mean I dont want to come across as white trash or unkind I want to be looked at as some to respect, a good person. But then again it doesn't usually bother me if you have issues with me or how I do things because there are always people you cant please.
Do you worry about your kids caving to peer pressure and sacrificing their own individuality? Yes my daughter is so nice I think kids her own age take advantage of her. I hope we can teach her that she does not have to be so giving to all people and that just because she is nice and shares everthing does not mean that people will 'return the gesture...not that you should expect any thing in return but she gives to much at times.

My son on the other Hand is very nice and shares but I dont think will be too giving to the point of being walked on.

They are 8 and 6
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I cared what others thought, at least a little, but couldn't really do anything to change me according to what others thought.  Which was a good thing overall.  Now I really don't care what others think - I just choose my battles for when I'm going to stand up for who I am & what I think and when I'm going to just let it slide.

My boys don't show any signs of really changing who they are or what they like based on others opinions.  

But there is positive peer pressure - and I have seen that help.  My older son was given high fives by 2 other classmates one day when he got all his work done in the time alloted. :)  I know about it because I witnessed it & it just warmed my heart.

janessa27
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I did worry (too much) of what others thought of my growing up. Now I am a lot better but still find myself wandering or trying to guess what others think of me. I definitely worry about my boys being "followers". I always want them to make the right decisions or what they think is right without worrying what others think or do. I talk to my 9 year old about this a lot. My 5 year old doesn't care- he is more of a "leader". lol

Juniper53098
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I used to worry because I was more of an outcast.  Now, I don't care.  I'm happy with who I am.

I do worry about peer pressure.

lasombrs
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

My kids definetly have their own style. My son likes to dressy preppy some days and super heros others. He also perfers his hair long no matter what others say to him. DD has a style all her own too which is a mod podge of crazy stuff that doesnt go together yet looks just right on her and matches her personality. :)

I never cared what others thought of me much. i seemed to be able to go from group to group of different cliches and get along well but never had my own place. I definetly had a skater/goth style and an i dont care attitude. i think that continues today although i am less goth. i never ware make up or do anything with my hair other then a pony tail and i dont care if others think i dont try hard enough to fit into their polished world.

ashleywagoner
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Sort of---- when I got older. I want him to embrace his individuality & style---within reason.
RobynS
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I did... I was shy and insecure. My kids are a bit on the shy side, but so far neither one of them seems to care too much what other kids think of them. :)

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM
So far DD is holding her own. I'm proud of her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN