Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Raise a Goodwill Superstar Challenge Day 4: Helping Others!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 53 Replies

Volunteering is a great way for kids to become more active members in their community. Raising their social awareness while helping others is definitely a win-win. Today's challenge is to have your kids volunteer around your community.

Here are some simple ways your kids can help:

• Pull weeds for a neighbor
  • Pick up litter at a local park
  • Donate food to a food pantry
  • Join a walk to fight for a cause or disease
  • Put together and drop off care packages at a nursing home- crossword puzzles, word searches, deck of cards, etc
  • Bring garbage cans in for the neighbor

Do you encourage your kids to volunteer? What are some ways they help other people? Do you find there is more time for volunteering during summer break?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 American Express gift card!

Join Our "Raise a Goodwill Superstar" Challenge! Win $50!

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMeof2
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM

My kids are to young to volunteer, but my 4 yr old donates clothes and toys to my friends with kids or local areas that need stuff. He picks out what to give and what to keep. I'm proud of him for that.

janessa27
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM

We volunteer through our church as much as possible. Just the other week our church sponsored a big cookout, bounce houses, corn hole games, etc in a neighborhood and my boys helped set things up. I am actually the representative of United Way in my workplace but that just usually involves getting employees to participate and unfortunately a lot of the activities we do are when they are in school.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM
My 11 yr old can help out he cuts a neighbors front yard and my youngest is to young he is only 2 years old.
chicken13
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I've always encouraged our whole family to volunteer.  It's important to contribute to society...not just take, take, take.

Dd has volunteered in a number of ways throughout the years...from reading to smaller kids and heping out with messy projects in elementary school, to picking up litter, helping raise foster dogs, to sorting clothes at the local town assistance facility.

One year she even started a "Birthday Club" to ensure that underpriveledged kids could get birthdays too.  She worked with our town family assistance director to come up with a list of things...cake mix, frosting, a small gift card to get eggs and milk for the mix, a gift, wrap and bows.  I couldn't have been more proud!

Summer is actually harder for us.  The schedule is so random, it's hard to fit in any regularly scheduled things.  But we do try.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Yes, they see me volunteer and their father.

RobynS
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM

we're in a small town, so there aren't quite the amount of volunteer opportunities that there might be in a big city, but we do what we can. DS likes to help with Relay for Life. Both kids like go for "litter walks" and help keep the neighborhood and the park clean.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I want to try to organize something with a local no kill cat shelter soon!

mama2b100808
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Oh yes my girl loves helping others. She has helped some of the older people giving them blankets for the winter. Yes. We just went and gave a few families some fans. 

Pipamonium
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Do you encourage your kids to volunteer?
Yes, I think it's important to consider others and not always think about ones self. I believe there is always a time to be selfish and a time to be selfless. 

What are some ways they help other people?
My son is only three. He's been finding ways to help around the house - taking garbage to the trash can for us, helping grandpa water the flowers, helping get the ingredients out for meals... my daughter is 5. She wants to volunteer at the hospital visiting sick children but the hospital wont allow her to do that yet. Not until she's a little older. So we make care pakcages when possible for the kids who are in long term, to give them different things to do and 'not be bored'. My daughter includes little notes in the packages to let the kids know they're loved and thought about. She also walks with us during the annual cancer walks. She's excited because this year she's finally old enough to be allowed to volunteer for the city wide community clean-up day. I don't know what task we've been assigned to this year exactly but the gist of it all is the volunteers go to their assigned area and pick up garbage/remove graffitti.

Do you find there is more time for volunteering during summer break?
There is more time for the bigger volunteering things during summer but most of them my daughter isn't old/big enough to participate in. As far as organized volunteering events are concerned. It's very frusterating for her. We actually are able to do the most volunteering in the time between Halloween and Christmas.

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM

From the  time our 5 were toddlers, preschoolers I encouraged them to pick outgrown toys and  clothes to donate to kids who needed them and praised them, I let them pick out foods THEY would like to get if they had to go to food bank & take them w/ me to donate to food bank (they DID need food bank food for awhile later in life too)..  we always pick out toys to donate to angel giving tree and toys for tots at xmas.. they grew up on dead end street with lots of elderly people and they helped me make them homemade treats every major holiday thru year  and would deliver to their door with songs and playing instruments, they would volunteer to do yard work and shovel for free for them, or clean up their yard and windows if they got egged or waxed or tped night before halloween by other kids... they saw us always stop to help homeless people even when we were in a hurry the whole time they were growing up, they were raised being encouraged to purposely friend all the kids the other kids in school bulllied or outcast whether bc they were different or shy or even a trouble maker kid and to bring them home and we included them in our family activiites and even over a decade later some of them called us to tell us what a huge difference that made in their lives... now my 5 kids are young adults, they donate blood and plasma on their own.. they help total random strangers and homeless people regularily and they also help stray animals.. also while growing up they helped me save and rescue many stray dogs and ferile kittens and clean them up and find them homes... they also helped me save lives of injured brown bat and 2 abandoned newborn wild birds we had to feed every 2 hrs day and night until we found professional rehab places for them to take over and we even saved life of injured bumble bee and hand fed him for a full week until he could fly again and be set free.  I am SOOO proud of our young adult kids.. they have strong social consciences and use their lives even though all 5 of them are poor themselves .. they never pass up a chance to give or help another. I raised them to be like candles in the dark of the world for themselves and others and  to leave anyone they meet and the world they are in a bit better for them having been here and they each do in their own ways. I feel lucky to even KNOW them much less have honor of being their mom. They awe and inspire me!

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN