Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Raise a Goodwill Superstar Challenge Day 6: Encourage Healthy Eating Habits

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
  • 50 Replies

Learning healthy habits at a young age will provide your kids with lifelong benefits. As moms, we have a lot of influence to help our kids develop healthy eating habits.

Here are some ways to encourage healthy eating habits:

• Don't skip breakfast. Setting regular mealtimes for your kids will increase the chances of them continuing the habit when they are older.
  • Create a snack station. Whether it's in your pantry or fridge, have an easy to reach area with healthy snack options for your kids
  • Eat dinner together. It's hard to eat dinner together when everyone has a busy schedule, but the benefits of eating together makes shuffling around schedules worth it. Even if you can't eat together every night, make a big effort to do it as much as possible. You'll have a stronger family bond, your kids will feel connected, and your family will eat more nutritious meals.
  • Eliminate soda! Teach your kids to drink water instead of soda. Soda has no nutrients and is loaded with sugar. It has also been linked to increased rates of obesity in children.

apple

Do your kids drink soda or eat sugary cereals? How often does your family eat together? Share your tips for encouraging healthy eating habits?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 American Express gift card!

Join Our "Raise a Goodwill Superstar" Challenge! Win $50!

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

My kids are not allowed soda. They do eat sugary cereals though. Not all of the time of course. The "plain" cereals are their favorites, but who can resist froot loops or apple jacks every once in a while. We eat together every night. 

I need to work on that snack station idea. The problem with that is that I can't think of any cabinet that we aren't using/needing the space. 

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Do your kids drink soda or eat sugary cereals? Yes, but not very often at all.  It's typically her last choice of things.

How often does your family eat together? Every dinner we eat together and all meals during the weekends.  It will change once I go to work though.

Share your tips for encouraging healthy eating habits?  I really don't know....DD has always preferred fruits and veggies over junk food, she loves the taste of meats, can't stand fast food, and prefers home cooked meals.  I am a junk foodaholic and prefer fast food and junk food over anything else. lol  DH just loves fried food.  So I have no tips but I'm glad she loves the healthy foods and I try to make sure we always have cut up veggies available and lots of fruit in the house.

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Not too often. I like to get cereal with 10 grams or less of sugar. I stopped drinking soda myself years ago.

We rarely wat together. I grew up eating at the dinner table with my family but I never really did it with my own kids.

I have fruits for the kids. I try to limit anything over 10 grams of sugar.

AspensMama1537
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM
We are doing pretty good at this! :)
We eat mostly whole foods.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Dd4 always asks is this good for the human body? love it
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM

We eat sugary cereals. We eat dinner together. We don't drink soda.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM

we try to have healthy snacks avaliable. They help me in our garden and love to snack on the friesh stuff we pick, we rarely drink soda

janessa27
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

My kids do not like soda at all- they only drink water and a cup of milk in the morning. We eat together every night for supper at least. I encourage them to eat something good (apple or bannana) then they can have a cookie or something sweeter.

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM
He's a picky eater. But he does like his ice cold water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Not my daughter doesn't drink soda or eat sugary cereal. And we eat together every night as a family. Its a rule.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN