Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is third grade too old?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM
  • 39 Replies

My daughter is 8, will be 9 in October and going into 3rd grade. She already gets picked on for being smaller than the other kids bc she is petite built, so everyone says she is small for her age. She's right on track but she is a gymnast, and has been training to get in a competitive team so there is little extra meat, but a ton of muscle. Anyway... we were discussing back to school shopping and for her shoes she wants Twinkle Toes.

specifically these... 

I'm totally about kids being allowed to be kids but I also don't want to add more fuel to other kids' fire. Is 3rd grade too old for Velcro twinkle toes?

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I don't think so. My son is in 3rd grade and he's into nick Jr still lol
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I don't think so but maybe you should buy her lace up tennis shoes as well.. My boys each get two pair of shoes..

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

If she enjoys them, get them for her.   Those wore out really fast for my dd since she wore them every day and PE is twice a week, 3 recesses a day.  We found other skechers that lit up and they lasted longer.

caligirl7613
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Nope My dd is obsessed with those dang shoes. She will be 8 this month and is also entering 3rd grade in august.
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Nope. My daughter is going to 3rd grade. Twinkle toes are the "it" shoes to have.
IQuitCounting
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I think that if it's what she wants go for it.  Prep her for the possibility of being teased (because sadly it's needed), but I think as long as you are there to support her in her choices in expressing herself she'll be fine.

Look here for more support on the bolstering of self esteeme here: A Mighty Girl

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM

It is what all of the younger elementary girls are wearing, so I would go for it.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I don't think so.  My son still wants light up velcro shoes and he's 8 and going into 3rd grade.

family in the van   Mom of four

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I had velcro light up shoes up until 4th grade. But this was also in the late 90s. Kids are a lot meaner today than back then. I would buy a backup, more "grown up" pair with laces too.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this

My 16 yr old said she wishes she could have a pair lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)