Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

GAH!! Some parents are SO stupid!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

My oldest DD's school is an accident waiting to happen when it comes to drop off/pick up. The school doesn't have buses, most in our county don't because they deemed them unneccesary...the school isn't designed for this much car traffic though.

School policy, is that kids have to be dropped off at their class line each morning, and picked up from their classroom each day. You're not allowed to just drive up and throw your kid out of the car in front (though doing so would alleviate MANY issues...). Problem is there isn't parking for this, you're not allowed to park in the front lot (there isn't enough space to do so anyway) so you have to parallel park on the street or park in the back dirt lot (they only opened that because one of the side streets is closed for road work). This alone is dangerous and stupid. Super busy road, cars parked on both sides, kids not bothering with crosswalks or sidewalks? Recipe for disaster, I'm AMAZED a kid hasn't gotten hit already.

They tell you do NOT pull up to the fire lane and toss your kid out, also do NOT turn left when leaving the school (big ass RIGHT TURN ONLY sign). People don't listen to either. They toss their kids out in front, or somewhere in the parking lot, and just hope for the best, people turn left out of the school all the time, even though doing so impedes traffic and is dangerous. Nothing is done to stop it, except for a one call each week about it, but that doesn't stop any of the idiots... Like I said, it's an accident waiting to happen on a good day.

Well this morning, dumbass parent upped their game. I'm driving down the road to get to the school and go into the back lot. There was a guy behind me, he just stops in the middle of the busy ass road with cars EVERYWHERE, and has his kid get out of the car and run across the road (in front of a moving car I might add) to get to school, the kid not only almost got hit in the street, he almost got hit crossing the lot as well, dad just drove off without a care in the world. WTAF?!?! It would have taken him 10 seconds longer to at least pull into the school and let the kid out there, which is also not allowed, but at least it's safer.

Well...I'm a tattle tale, I ratted the guy out, pointed out the kid, told my DD's teacher what happened (because he was on duty for getting the kids lined up), then told the principal. She's going to speak to the idiot parents AGAIN (yes AGAIN she said, so they've been doing this). I just can't figure out why parents intentionally endanger their own kids. Your kid is not replaceable, you can't get a new one at Target. Is it annoying to drive into the school, park, get out, walk your kid to their line, and then go back, and drive away? Yes, but it would be a lot less hectic, crazy, and annoying if EVERYONE just followed the rules, the rules that were put in place for the safety of your children.

This cluster fuckery is the reason both of my kids are being homeschooled next year. I can't even deal with this crap for another school year. I don't have any issue with the curriculum, or teachers. I just can't deal with the traffic cluster fuck 2x a day. It's like a demolition derby up in that bitch, and I like my kids and car way too much to deal with it again.

Just had to vent.

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Yikes!  I'm sure that the parent had something much more important to do than worry about their child's safety.  SMH  You know, they were probably late for breakfast with their friends or something like that.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare. 

People are very careless and reckless with their children's safety at my son's school too. It's a reputable elementary school too, but somehow, there's always "that" bunch lmfao.

Good luck! I would be a "tattle tale" too. I mean, for God's sake, they're putting their kid's lives at risk by doing that. SMH.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM

And yet if their kid gets run over because of their negligence, they'd blame the school *eyeroll*  There's only this week, and then next week and after that school is out for summer. Thank God.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

People are very careless and reckless with their children's safety at my son's school too. It's a reputable elementary school too, but somehow, there's always "that" bunch lmfao.

Good luck! I would be a "tattle tale" too. I mean, for God's sake, they're putting their kid's lives at risk by doing that. SMH.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Right?!? People sue over almost everything these days. It's insane. I should sue my city for new grass since my water bill is always over $200 quarterly. -_- lol.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

And yet if their kid gets run over because of their negligence, they'd blame the school *eyeroll*  There's only this week, and then next week and after that school is out for summer. Thank God.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM

The school needs to set up a carline. That sounds nuts! Our works very well and we have none of this chaos that I read about at other schools. We have 4-5 parents/staff members line up at cones and you move from one side of the parking lot to the other and they get the kids out and send them all to sit with their classes in the cafeteria until they are dismissed to their classes in the am. In the afternoon, they have set classrooms to go to and they are released from there to the cones and the volunteers and staff put them into the cars. Everything moves in one direction and it works very fluidly. 

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That's how it has worked at my kids' schools in the past, but not here... and I don't understand why. The lot is EASILY set up for it to happen, but no, demolition derby is better. In fact at past schools parents getting out of their car at all was heavily discouraged.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

The school needs to set up a carline. That sounds nuts! Our works very well and we have none of this chaos that I read about at other schools. We have 4-5 parents/staff members line up at cones and you move from one side of the parking lot to the other and they get the kids out and send them all to sit with their classes in the cafeteria until they are dismissed to their classes in the am. In the afternoon, they have set classrooms to go to and they are released from there to the cones and the volunteers and staff put them into the cars. Everything moves in one direction and it works very fluidly. 

LittleRed80
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Does the school have a site Council? We had a lot of drop off pick up issues going on at out school and it was addressed at a few site Council meetings. Now along with student crossing guards there are multiple traffic attendants (staff) outside to monitor and enforce the rules.
mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM

My kids' former school did have a car line but it wasn't long enough to get the line out of the road traffic so they came up with this awful plan about how the cars should line up on side the road and the line goes clear across the front of the school then does a u-turn back into the campus.  I am so glad we don't deal with that.  My kids were bus riders but every so often I'd have to get into that line for things like bus mechanical issues.  I HATED it.  It wasn't a factor in us deciding to homeschool but i can certainly see how it could be.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Crazy thing is they have people outside monitoring, but they don't pay attention to stuff or do anything about it. At my kid's schoolin Atlanta they had a real cop out there making sure things were done right, wish they'd do that here.

Quoting LittleRed80: Does the school have a site Council? We had a lot of drop off pick up issues going on at out school and it was addressed at a few site Council meetings. Now along with student crossing guards there are multiple traffic attendants (staff) outside to monitor and enforce the rules.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM
I am so happy my kids don't go to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)