Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

You don't always have to share

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:10 AM
  • 57 Replies
2 moms liked this

My kids 5&7 we at the pool playing .they each bring one toy to play with and that's it. An adult came to my DD and asked if her daughter could share the toy. My DD refused to respond and ran to me. I told parent NO. She got upset she couldn't afford a toy .I told her I got it at the dollar store and my kids don't talk to strangers. 

This has happened to us other places beach, waiting room,with other toys. Who goes to the beach and doesn't bring their kid a shovel and bucket.

you don't bring your kid something to do so mine has to share? Adults feel they can talk directly to a child?

People are really rude and irresponsible.

by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Yeah I would not like an adult coming to my child.  I have offered use of things that my dd is not using if i see someone who could benefit from the loan.  Most of her stuff we got at dollar tree as well.  Only her swim vest was at a "regular"store seeing as dollar tree does not sell them nor would i trust that .

Miller0305
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:17 AM
I agree with you. How rude of that adult.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:48 AM
1 mom liked this
One of the many reasons I love having our own private beach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:51 AM
My kid doesn't share because I want him to teach other people's children that sometimes you don't alwYs get what you want in life. Especially if something is already occupied or owned. As an adult, I don't ask someone if ican borrow their snow blower or lawn mower or if I can borrow their dog to play with because I think it's cute.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
So do your kids ever share with others?

Quoting Mocking.Jay: My kid doesn't share because I want him to teach other people's children that sometimes you don't alwYs get what you want in life. Especially if something is already occupied or owned. As an adult, I don't ask someone if ican borrow their snow blower or lawn mower or if I can borrow their dog to play with because I think it's cute.
mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 12, 2014 at 7:02 AM
My kids share when it is a group setting but if it is THEIR toy then no. Unless they are sleeping over.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:18 AM
7 moms liked this

My kids have ALWAYS shared at the beach. Just because a family comes with no beach toys does NOT mean they were irresponsible. Maybe they flew on a plane and couldn't pack them. Maybe stopping at the beach was a last minute decision. Goodness! First world problems! SMH

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

We always share at the beach. We bring extra to share. This is how kids learn to play well with others.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Sorry, but we're a family of sharers as well.  Even as an adult, I share with friends and neighbors.  We're also a family who talks to people when they are speaking directly to us.  I would be very upset if my child ran away from someone who was speaking directly to them.  OP - I think you need to check out the advice on the Stranger Danger post.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids always share when a child asks them. That's how they make new friendswhen we are out. I don't make them share, they are excited to get to know new kids. They also ask kids if they can play with them and share their toys. Honestly, I would be disappointed if they weren't interested in sharing and playing with new children.

I can't say they've ever had an adult ask them to borrow something.  Even if they just wanted to take the toy and let their child use it it would be fine with my unless my child was right in the middle of using it. I would never ask for my child. I think it's important for kids to learn to talk to strangers, children and adults alike.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN