Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

where do you shop

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 30 Replies
Where do you shop for school supplies and why? Do you wait until those sales or buy as soon as you can? How much do you spend? What grade are your kids in?

Sorry if this has been done already
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I shop in bulk, so I stock up at all sales; Target, Walmart, or Staples. As soon as the sales become available, I will stockpile (about 25 of each); pencils, crayons, markers, compositions books, rulers, glues anything on sale. My kids are 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 and 3 year old twins. I will usually spend around $125.00+

happymama2D
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I just have one in school right now and he's going into second grade. My middle son is going into pre-k this year. I like Wal-Mart for school supplies (better selection than Target imo). I do wait for the back to school sale and a buy extras of most things for when they need them mid year or they can be used the following year. Oh, and I think I spend around $40.00.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I go to Walmart because it's the closest and cheapest place for our school supplies. I buy their stuff in July. How much I spend depends on what is on the class lists each year. A few years ago it was nearly $100 when it was all said and done, last year it was closer to $40 and that was with a special calculator for my oldest who was going in to middle school.

This years' lists are considerably shorter than any other year for my elementary kids (no idea why!)- only 3 items on my daughter's list and 10 on my youngest son's- I think it will be under $30 again, but I will have to wait for the middle school requests to trickle in for my oldest son. There could be some surprises there. Actually, I did spend extra during the school year for some of his classes now that I think about it... money for Family and Consumer Science and Tech. Ed. projects ($40 for both projects.)

Anyway, my kids are going in to 8th, 5th, and 4th.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM
That's not bad for possibly 7 kids in school.

Quoting theresaphilly:

I shop in bulk, so I stock up at all sales; Target, Walmart, or Staples. As soon as the sales become available, I will stockpile (about 25 of each); pencils, crayons, markers, compositions books, rulers, glues anything on sale. My kids are 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 and 3 year old twins. I will usually spend around $125.00+

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM
I aways seem to end up at Office Depot. They always have everything we need, even if it costs a little bit more.
BMisSHITE
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I usually weasel out of it and let my ex take our daughter (13) because he likes to and she gets all kinds of stuff that I would say no to. My stepkids' mom takes them.I usually figure out what their teachers are low on and give them huge amounts of it (like tissues or whatever) from Sam's Club or Amazon. 

melaniecerise
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I shop at Walmart just because I feel it has the best prices for name brand supplies. I buy as soon as I can. I used to wait until the tax free holiday but it was very chaotic last year and we decided not to do that again. I spend about $75 for both kids and that includes backpacks. My kids are going into 2nd and 1st grade

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Target mostly.

My kids are going into 6th and 3rd grade.

What I spend depends on the year.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I tend to shop at Target and Staples because they are close and have good sales...and because I hate Walmart.  I spread my shopping out so I can get almost everything on sale so it's hard for me to put a dollar amount to how much I spend each year--plus I always get other stuff when I'm at Target anyway.  My boys are in 1st & 4th grade...

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Staples and Target. I usually don't go cheap. I like how unique their stuff is. It's honestly my favorite shopping lmao.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)