Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Reading parents = reading child?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM
  • 74 Replies
This is what I've read anyway. Your child is more likely to be an avid reader if you are. I think it was in The Read Aloud Handbook where I saw that.

So what are you reading?
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM
I'm reading the Outlander series - currently on Book 5.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I'm finishing the Divergent series. 

I've actually read a lot this summer. 

HIJKLM
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM
I think it depends on the kid. I'm always reading. My ODD is too. The younger two only read when I make them and the baby just likes to chew on books lol

I'm reading Patricia Cornwell's Dust
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM

And there is tons of research supporting the idea that kids with parents who read are better readers. It's just anything else. Kids learn from the example we set. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I am reading Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I just finished "A Dance With Dragons"  The 5th Game of Thrones book.

My husband and I are avid readers.  All of our children are too.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Purely anecdotal - but my boys definitely fit the reading parents = reading children theory as well as the 'the more you read to them, the better they do later with reading' theory.  DH & I both read and have always read to my boys.  My 7 yo (going into 2nd) is reading at least at a 5th grade level (haven't really tested him, but he had no trouble with a book at a 5th grade level).  My 5 yo (going into K) read me text that is likely at a 1st or 2nd grade level (this is with no one really making an effort to teach him to read).

I am currently reading 'A Paris Apartment'.  DH has several books going (including one that DS7 is insisting we all read because he liked it - Top Wing by Matt Christopher).

AmaliaD
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM
I'm re reading dance with dragons. I am a teacher. I can tell you it really helps to have parents who read. But for many kids, like my kid, that's not enough, he has to be forced to read. He is given choices of 3 libraries worth of materials and I order him anything he asks. I would choose to do just about anything over sitting and reading (he is good at it though). So I take him to bed at 9, read him a chapter of a book just beyondhis level that he's interested in, then he can read with the remaining time until 9:30. Most nights he reads 20 minutes ......just so he CAN stay up the extra time.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I read all the time and my kids aren't readers (disappointing). My SIL and brother don't read but my oldest niece always has her nose in a book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I just finished Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls.  I read all the time.  DD is a good reader and likes to read, but it is not a love yet.  But she has a HUGE imagination and loves pretend play, so i predict when she stops playing with toys, she will start loving books more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)