Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Day cares... *updated*

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

I finally got my full time teaching job (posted about a few days ago). Unfortunately with that means my 3 year old is going to have to do some sort of daycare program. My husband works an odd shift (he just got promoted to Resource Planning and is the weekend wrap around help that also comes with a hefty raise.) His schedule is Fri-Mon 8am-6:30pm but he is off Tues-Thurs. So she would only really need care Mon and Fri. I have been looking around at daycares and most offer only fulltime or two days a week at Tues/Thurs or three days at Mon/Wed/Fri 

I found one that is well below our price range had a few friends recommend it, and it is right across the street from us. I walk in and they are watching TV. I called my friend whose child attends there and she said they are always watching TV at drop off and pick up time. I am very apprehensive my husband keeps saying "it's only for one year" she will be in attendance, but I feel like she needs something more educational. They do work on handwriting, but at the same time we are pretty strict on screen time. 

I just want opinions.

Update: 7/18

The center listed above is NOT a home daycare center it is a daycare facility. I posted about how uncomfortable I am with the center on my Facebook and got a lot of responses. I toured a center today which offers Part time at 2 days 3 days or full time. The 2 and 3 day options are super affordable the three day option just being 5 dollars more than the other facilities full time option. We decided on that center it was small, no TV, a curriculum they use, and affordable. She will attend the 3 day a week option because if my husband works overtime an extra day (which he does a lot in nov and dec) we have the option to choose whatever day she attends.

I wanted to thank everyone for input and suggestions I feel so much better about this place. It is a little farther out of our way, but it will still work and I won't dread sending her every morning.

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

To me, if I were in such a dire position, I would take whatever I can get lol. 

I understand your desire to have her attend something more educational, but if that's the only available spot, then I would ride it out, and work to find another child care place when she's in there.

You can always supplement her and teach her when you get home, and on the weekends. That's what I think I'm going to have to do as well, haha. 

Right now, work requires me to be there at 7:30, so thankfully I have my cousin who will watch him and take him to school for the three months, and then my mom and dad will be helping me. 

My cousin also has to pick him up and watch him for an hour everyday after he's in Boys and Girls club 4 times a week, and once a week, I have to take some post bacc courses on Wednesdays and then Fridays next year. Ahhhh. I totally know the annoyance of finding child care when you have work obligations! 

Good luck!

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM

thank you this was helpful. i have been teaching her over the summer at home and she is doing excellent. she can spell her name (Madilyn) and trace almost ready to full on write it on her own. I could do work with her at home and would love too maybe while my first grader is doing homework. 

I know I shouldn't be picky. I just hate putting her somewhere where all they do is watch darn TV.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

I understand your desire to have her attend something more educational, but if that's the only available spot, then I would ride it out, and work to find another child care place when she's in there.

You can always supplement her and teach her when you get home, and on the weekends. That's what I think I'm going to have to do as well, haha. 

Right now, work requires me to be there at 7:30, so thankfully I have my cousin who will watch him and take him to school for the three months, and then my mom and dad will be helping me. 

My cousin also has to pick him up and watch him for an hour everyday after he's in Boys and Girls club 4 times a week, and once a week, I have to take some post bacc courses on Wednesdays and then Fridays next year. Ahhhh. I totally know the annoyance of finding child care when you have work obligations! 

Good luck!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Morning drop off and afternoon pock up can absolutely be crazy with people in and out. Trying to have some sort of focused activities is near about impossible.

If the fee is reasonable, facility close to you, and the workers are great, I'd bite the bullet on the tv watching. :-)
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I have to say, you are dreaming if you think a day care center truly teaches. 

Where I am they are required to offer a Pre-K curriculum to 4 yr olds that attend full time, but they are NOT teachers. They are working at minimum wage and most often don't have children of their own to even know what is needed. 

Here for a private pre-k a 3 yr old could go 2 days a week..... typically T/Th.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I would be okay with then watching it if it was ONLY in the morning drop off and afternoon pick up, BUT we toured at 3:30 and they were watching it...I don't understand why they were not playing in centers, doing a craft of some sort or outside. Why the TV? She would be picked up before "afternoon pick up rush hour!" I do think we will probably end up going with it, but I will definitely let them know I think it is too much TV. I have taught 3 and 4 year olds (and going to teach prek at an elementary school now) and we have never used TV at all but espcially during drop off and pick up they did some sort of table activities or centers. 

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Morning drop off and afternoon pock up can absolutely be crazy with people in and out. Trying to have some sort of focused activities is near about impossible. If the fee is reasonable, facility close to you, and the workers are great, I'd bite the bullet on the tv watching. :-)

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I know it is unfortunate. I have worked in daycare when I was getting my education. I have worked as a preschool teacher the last few years at a small Preschool where we did curriculum and didn't have any TVS in the building. I so wish she could do something like that again, unfortunately it isn't going to happen. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Where I am they are required to offer a Pre-K curriculum to 4 yr olds that attend full time, but they are NOT teachers. They are working at minimum wage and most often don't have children of their own to even know what is needed. 

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Nothing wrong with a little tv in the morning and afternoon. Hell I dont find anything wrong with TV at all. We have the tv on all day and none of my kids are having a terrible time at life. As long as it is age appropriate tv, I don't see the problem.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had that problem. I dropped in regularly when my son was at my campus daycare and they were always doing something very academic and stimulating. Then again, it was affiliated with my university, so I don't know what their center policy was on "teaching", but don't undermind every center because there are really good, reputable centers. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM

You're welcome! I honestly don't see a problem, but I understand your concern. I would be the same way too. I just lucked out when my son was in his daycare. It was a wonderful center with excellent staff.

But don't beat yourself up either. I imagine our workloads will get the best of us after school some days so if you don't have all the time in the world to help stimulate your dd, don't feel like a failure. I am setting these similar goals for my son because I want to be in that "teacher" mindset all the time, but it may or may not become unachievable lol. 

Actually, speaking of TV, because of my new job coming up, I was able to qualify for the new employee discount my cable service offers. It's $50 for over 200 HD channels for the 1st 6 months and then goes up to $70 for the remaining months of May and June. I had to take this deal. I'm paying $74 a month JUST for internet. 

Quoting mommy053008:

thank you this was helpful. i have been teaching her over the summer at home and she is doing excellent. she can spell her name (Madilyn) and trace almost ready to full on write it on her own. I could do work with her at home and would love too maybe while my first grader is doing homework. 

I know I shouldn't be picky. I just hate putting her somewhere where all they do is watch darn TV.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Good luck!

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM

There are SOME that are truely reputable..... However, the area I am in..... when I left after having my second son.... I made more per week working at MCD part time (15 hrs) than I did in 40 hrs at the day care center..... and I was the ONLY one who had children of my own out of the 23 coworkers. They had NO idea what the kids needed as far readiness for Kinder. 

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

I've never had that problem. I dropped in regularly when my son was at my campus daycare and they were always doing something very academic and stimulating. Then again, it was affiliated with my university, so I don't know what their center policy was on "teaching", but don't undermind every center because there are really good, reputable centers. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)