Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How does your Doctor's Office run? OT

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Max
  • 18 Replies

I had an ultra sound on Tuesday to check my gall bladder. I have lots of the symptoms of gall bladder disease. I talked to my doctor in June about getting testing to see if I need to have mine removed this summer.

The earliest I could get the ultra sound scheduled was this Tuesday. That's partly because my doctor's office took a long time and partly because my schedule was busy.

So I had the test done on Tuesday. If this is negative I need another test done to see if I need to have it removed. When I had the test done they said my doc would  get the results within 25 hours.

So I called on Wednesday mid-day and was told they didn't have results yet. That was fine. I called back Thursday morning. They said the doctor would call me back. She never did.

So I called back this morning. I was told the doctor would call me back today. No one did. I called back at 4:40 and got the message from the answering service that said the office was open until 5. I stayed on hold for almost 10 minutes. It was clear that the office was already done answering phones. I've had this issue with this practice before.

At this point I am very unhappy. The Lab told me the doctor would have results in 24 hours.  I assumes I would be able to schedule the other test I might need this week. Now I still don't know if I need another test.

I started all this in June assuming that if I needed surgery to remove my gall bladder I could do it this summer. Now I am creeping towards the start of school mid August and can't imagine it will be done by then if it needs to be.

Are my expectations out of line or is my doctor's office being inconsiderate? I would like opinions from anyone in the medical field.

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM

No you are not being unreasonable! I would feel the same way!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be upset as well. Now I don't expect a doctor to drop everything and talk to me when I call, but I do expect a call back that same day. If they don't have the results, someone should call you back to let you know that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I'd be mad as well. If the doc can't call, the nurse should.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:15 AM

I'm not in the medical field but I would never tolerate a Dr office that blew me off like that. My Dr office has answering machines and they ask you to calland leave a message and they ALWAYS call back within 24 hous for minor stuffand a few hours for important things.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM

If they said 24 hours, they should have called by end of business day that next day. Even if they didn't have results yet, they should have called and said as much. If you had to initiate, they should have gotten it together to call you with results ASAP or called to keep you informed about still waiting for results.

i would call back and demand to speak to the office manager and let them know how unhappy you are. There really is no excuse. I get so tired of doctors thinking their time is worth so much more than everyone else's.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM
My docs office used to call for things, now they tend to leave calling for bad stuff. If the ultrasound comes back fine they will mail a letter usually. If there was an issue that needs further testing they will call when they have have results and the doctor has had a chance to look it over.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Your Dr. office sucks. Mine calls me back when they say they will even if they don't have the results yet. I would be really annoyed if they just blew me off like that and I would be looking for a different Dr.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM

My mom has gone through something similar waiting for biospsy results but its not her Dr fault. Last time she had lumps removed in early June it was a friday and she got the results on a Tuesday. She had more removed last Friday, expected her call on Tuesday didn't come. Wednesday she needed to see NP for a wound check and was told they haven't heard from the hospital yet. She called Thursday still no results. Its not her Dr that looks at the cells so her Dr is waiting on that Dr who has others to read as well. Its a smaller hospital so we are assuming if someone is on vacation it back logs.

Now if you call you should still let you know they haven't gotten the results. My mom's also reassured her it wasn't just her. She was worried it was taking so long something was wrong but Dr had had other surgeries that day and week and still nothing. The Dr DH and I see have everything on line so as soon as Dr view results its posted in my on line chart. The boys pedi has that but I need to get a password from them because registering on line is only for new patients and everytime I am there its the last thing on my mind. Now calling my kids Dr is a PITA. To get a live person to pick up the phone so you leave a message and well if I am at work I can't just wait for them to call so 90% of the time I am on another call and we play phone tag. I hate it but like the Dr so we stay.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Sounds horrible - i would be pushing them!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serabeth06
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM

No, that's definitely not unreasonable. While there are times when emergencies come in, or things get backed up behind schedule, at the very least they should be able to present you with your test results.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)