Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

LL bean back pack

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 46 Replies
So I remember a post awhile back about the decline in quality and I'm trying to decide if worth the cost. They have some on sale for $30 which is around what I'm probably end up spending (The cheap ones never last us to winter break) but all the reviews are old. Anyone buy one recently. I'm not looking for one to last them into high school just a whole year and maybe two. Oldest is going to middle school this year and I'm guessing the books are only getting heavier from here.
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM
We just bought one she likes it. The quality is a little cheaper than mine when I was growing up, but it still serves its purpose.
Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

They are still pretty decent. I would agree that they are not as durable seeming as they were in the 90s, but still better than the average Jansport, in my opinion.

Not sure what grade she is going into, but we started our kids off with Pottery Barn backpacks. My oldest used his in pre-k, k and 1st grade and could probably keep using it, but I told him he could get another. Super durable, large and washes well. 

EDIT: I see she is going into middle school (Yay for me reading!) The Pottery Barn ones might be too small. 

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM
One is going into 6th grade the other kindergarten.. Less concerned with the back pack for kindergartener' this year. He won't be bringing home huge text books every night. We had a jansport and that lasted more then a year so guessing it's still worth the llbean price.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

They are still pretty decent. I would agree that they are not as durable seeming as they were in the 90s, but still better than the average Jansport, in my opinion.

Not sure what grade she is going into, but we started our kids off with Pottery Barn backpacks. My oldest used his in pre-k, k and 1st grade and could probably keep using it, but I told him he could get another. Super durable, large and washes well. 

EDIT: I see she is going into middle school (Yay for me reading!) The Pottery Barn ones might be too small. 

cpmommy
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM

We bought my son a backpack from Land's End last year.  Aside from a little dirt and pen, where he drew on it, it still in excellen shape!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I just ordered my son a new one on Thursday night and they shipped it yesterday. We have one from LL Bean we got and he used for 1st and 2nd grades. It's still in excellent shape but we're just tired of looking at it every day. So I ordered a new one. I'll compare the 2 early next week when I get the new one and let you know what I think. :-)
csxt99
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM

My daughter has a Jansport backpack that she has used for sixth and seventh grade. She will also use it when she starts eighth grade next month. She carries heavy books and two to three binders each year. I have also machine washed it and it has held up fine.

Neither of my girls have ever used LL Bean backpacks, so I don't know about their quality.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM
We use Dakine. They are seriously the best quality ever. Their backpacks are thick and have really good padding and it took me 4 years to finally wash it. They're also stain resistant. My son has a Dakine bag with dinosaurs on it.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM
DS used his in 7th and 8th grade and it's going to 9th grade in September. Still in great shape!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I bought one last spring for my daughter. I went with the original deluxe since she needed something big enough for weekend camping trips with her girl scout troop. She loved it and ended up using it every day. It still looks brand new. She loves the waist strap that helps when her loads are a little heavier, not really an issue yet since she's going into 2nd grade, but it helped with the end of the year haul. She walks so for her to be able to properly balance the weight is a big deal for us. I used them myself all through middle and high school. I love LL Bean and their quality and definitely recommend them. You'll spend more up front but wind up saving as your child reuses their bag year after year. They also wash well in a regular machine. Definitely get one!
jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Yes! My kids all had the same one from kindergarten to 6th grade.  They hold up well.  Hold on and I'll post a pic of my you gets sons he's had since kindergarten.  He'll be in 4th grade this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)