Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why go school clothes shopping?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM
  • 104 Replies
1 mom liked this

As I mentioned in a response to another post, I have no mommy friends so I don't know a lot about this school business. My DD is going into kindergarten this year and it's her first year of school (no pre-k or even daycare). I was wondering why do people go clothes shopping for school? My DD is going to a public school so no dress code or uniform. I know this sounds super stupid of me but I really don't get the concept... Can't she just wear what she has been and when the weather turns can't I just go shopping then? Is there any sort of reason I should be going school clothes shopping? Can I skip it at all (my DH recently lost his job and we currently have no income while he looks for another job)? I bought school supplies today and that wiped me out. I do want to go it's not about not wanting to do some school ritual, I just don't see the practicality of it. Change my view maybe? 

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't shop for school clothes and I never have.  My boys are going into 5th and 8th grades.  We buy clothing when they need it, either because it is worn out or out grown.  I'm not sure why so many people go out and buy a whole new wardrobe for back to school, it never made any sense to me what so ever.

IMO, if her clothing still fits her and is in decent shape, let her wear what she has.

BostonMomma08
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM
My son's birthday is at the end of July so I usually buy him new clothes for his birthday, which he will wear for school as well... I just went shopping today at kohls and bought him 4 outfits, a few extra shirts, a package of socks, a package of underwear, a backpack and a lunchbox, and he'll get it all on his birthday, along with 1 toy. I spent $130 and all I need to buy him now is a pair of sneakers and some supplies. I bought him the clothes because he needs new fall/winter clothing, by the end of last school year all his pants were floods, and he can barely squeeze his feet into his current sneakers.
KelliansMom
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this
I do the same thing my mother did , we all get new shoes and one new outfit for the first day of school and the once the season changed we went shopping for new jeans and tops.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't go back to school clothes shopping. I just get as my kids outgrow or wear out what they aready have.

Night_Roane
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM
We have uniforms, and she generally has gone up a size
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I don't go school clothes shopping per say before school starts. I get them things they need as they need it. Depending on the weather and their growth over the summer they may need long pants. They will need new shoes too but other then that don't need too much. Now last year yds had uniforms so I will need to get him some more school appropriate tops. Tshirts and sweatpants are more weekend wear then school clothes in our house.
MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
For the main reason it's getting cooler out. My kids need new shoes and jeans for the colder months. All the sales are now so why not.
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy new clothes because its a new start of the school year. Plus they grow a lot too.
aj23
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM
It's not necessary to go shopping. I usually do buy a few things mainly because there are bonus packs of socks and underwear and they are often on sale and he usually needs them. Plus it's the one time of year I don't have a problem finding his size so I take advantage of it. If I didn't it wouldn't really matter though.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't buy long pants and cold weather clothing until late Sept or early Oct since it doesn't get cold here until then.  *shrugs*  Why buy pants in July/August whe they will still be wearing shorts for a few more months?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN