Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Another uniform post

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: What is the uniform situation like at your school?

Options:

public school, without uniforms

public school with uniforms

private school with uniforms

private school without uniforms

home school

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 103

View Results

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM

My boys go to a public school that doesn't have uniforms.  In fact, none of the school districts is our part of the state have uniforms.  I never even heard of public schools requiring uniforms prior to CM.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Public, no uniforms. Can't get the poll to work, sorry.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Not yet.

Our principal is retiring this year and our AP has mentioned he would like to do it. But unless we provide the uniforms for many of the students it won't happen. I think when it comes down to it it's not going to work at our school.

But I wouldn't mind as a parent. It's been proven to be very effective in some situations.  I just don't think at our school it would be worth the trouble.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM
My oldest son was going to a public high school and did not wear a school uniform. This upcoming school year he will go to a private school. He will not be wearing a school uniform.
My second son goes to a 6th - 12th grade boarding school. He does wear a school uniform.
My younger two sons go to a public elementary school. They do not wear a school uniform.

ETA:
I didn't vote, I have every situation except #2 and # 5.
pochaccotx
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Public with and I hate it
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:02 PM

About ten years ago our middle schools tried it.

The first year the only way for parents to opt their kids out was to attend a school board meeting and state their case. A handful of parents did that and those kids didn't have wear them.

The second year the school board thought it would be easier to just apply to opt out in writing. Of course that was easier so tons of parents did it. It caused lots of issues with the students because by Christmas the kids wearing uniforms were in the minority.

I think they only stuck with it for two years and gave up. It could have been done more effectively.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys go to a public school that doesn't have uniforms.  In fact, none of the school districts is our part of the state have uniforms.  I never even heard of public schools requiring uniforms prior to CM.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM

We are public and have no uniforms. The next county over (where I live and where my sister teaches) the students don't have uniforms per se but they have an extremely strict dress code. It seems to make the most sense in areas like ours in rural, extremely poor, south GA. 

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Public school no uniform yet. They are doing a trial run in one school in the city. Had one in private school last year which did have one which would not have been so bad if it didn't have to have a logo (drives up prices)

I'd say currently around here about 1/3 of public schools are going to uniforms. Parents push it because then they think they no longer have to say no to the $100 jeans and sneakers if kids need uniforms and then forget about after school and weekends and by then school board has already signed on so no going back and parents still fighting with kids over $100 jeans and sneakers which they now can only wear on weekends. Was actually a rather colorful debate when our school committee was debating this although the trial year was this past year and it hasn't been brought up for rest of the school so I think we are safe for now.
Shani527
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Public with uniforms.
mmtosam06
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM
My dd is in a charter school with uniform
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN