Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why are teachers?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 133 Replies
10 moms liked this

Why are teachers treated so differently than other professionls?

Say you are at one of those home sales parties and your child's teacher is also a guest at the party.  Why is it acceptable to talk about how your child is doing in school with her?  Why is it acceptable to post on FB about what the teacher purchased and drank at the party along with how she acted?  If it was your doctor at the party, would you feel comfortable discussing your health so publicly?  Would you feel the need to gossip on FB about your doctors personal life?  How about your accountant/financial planner?

I see it time and again on CM that parents get their panties in a bunch over what teachers do in their private time and I honestly don't understand why teachers aren't supposed to have a private life.

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't get it either. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm really interested to hear answers to this too. 

ETA: This is one of the main reasons my husband and I chose for us NOT to purchase a home in the same town that I taught. My husband's aunt is the admissions director for a private school and we have watched parents literally stalk her over the years during the admission/rejection period. I wanted a separate home life from my job. That's not to say that my students don't know or haven't met my husband or kids, because they have. It's their crazy parents that I try and avoid.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I never understood that. Their down time is their time. If it's not affecting their ability to teach my kid, there's no reason they shouldn't be allowed to cut loose!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM
I'm interested in the answers too. One of my coworkers was reported to the principal because she had gone out with a group of teachers and had gotten tipsy. The parent who reported her was particularly upset because she's married but was flirting with the waiter. There were no children present.
Bluecalm
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Me too, I did not live in the district where I taught.
I do think it's a throwback to when teachers were supposed to be virtuous. When I started teaching one part of the evaluation was about how the teacher dressed and behaved in public on her free time.

Quoting mjande4:

ETA: This is one of the main reasons my husband and I chose for us NOT to purchase a home in the same town that I taught. My husband's aunt is the admissions director for a private school and we have watched parents literally stalk her over the years during the admission/rejection period. I wanted a separate home life from my job. That's not to say that my students don't know or haven't met my husband or kids, because they have. It's their crazy parents that I try and avoid.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Several teacher friends and a school nurse friend of mine went to one of those paint and sip things.  A pic of them painting appeared on the paint and sip company's FB page.  There was no alcohol in the pic.  Yet there was one heck of a bashing session on FB over it by parents.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Quoting mjande4:

Same for me. I drive past 6 elementary schools to get to work. I value my privacy and time away from school. When I do run into students outside of school it's nice to see them and say hi. But they don't all respect the boundaries that should be there.

My coworkers have had students and their parents show up at their homes and call them at home. They have had people join them at their table in restaurants. A parent called my principal because she saw her child's teacher buying a case of beer at Walmart.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I went to a  scrapbook crop and my son's science teacher was seated behind me.  She told me my son was a pleasure to have but that was the extent of our conversation about work and that was her bringing it up; I never would since I'm a teacher and prefer not to discuss students during social events.  When we bought our house, I was working in advertising and going to school to earn a degree in education.  When I started teaching, I worked about an hour from home.  When I got laid off, I had to send out resumes everywhere including my town and guess who called me?  Yep, my town.  Not only that, it was for a district-wide program at my son's school.  I've been working in my town for 11 years.  I've had a few parents want to have impromptu conferences out and about like at the grocery store but I've been able to deflect tthem thankfully.  Not sure whether I've ever ended up on anyone's fb but if I have, I haven't heard about it.  My fb is pretty tight and I don't friend parents of students.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Honestly I think it's because we do genuinely care about students and parents can tell that. And I do, I really literally love my students and care for them deeply. 

I think the emotion that teachers put into their work blurs those lines. Because we do so much some people have a hard time understanding that we are also people outside of teaching. Somehow people feel we need to be only teachers all the time.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this

On the flip side, I have had parents buy me drinks/shots just for dealing with their kids. Lol Before graduation this year one of my students/"special projects" came to see me and said my mom wants to know what your "beverage of choice is". His mom then proceeded to present me with a CASE of merlot at graduation. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Several teacher friends and a school nurse friend of mine went to one of those paint and sip things.  A pic of them painting appeared on the paint and sip company's FB page.  There was no alcohol in the pic.  Yet there was one heck of a bashing session on FB over it by parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)