Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM
  • 28 Replies
My son has some clothes issues. For example if he can not wiggle his toes in his shoes he goes crazy. That is an easy fix.

Pants - harder. Things other than sweat pants bother him. It is actually his own but cheeks ;) he says they stick together. It drives him mad.

Problem? He can not always wear sweatpants/soft pants. I have been trying to find a solution and so far have not suceeded. Anyone have some creative ideas?

******he WANTS to wear jeans and dress pants. He loves dressing up. Problem is it serms to add to the concentration issues he already had*****
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BostonMomma08
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM
My son has sensory issues and he won't wear anything but sweatpants or athletic type pants (but he won't wear wind pants because he can't handle his clothes making noise). I'm so glad that he doesn't go to a school with uniforms because it would be world war 3...
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When I notice my son getting like about something I make him wear the clothes he doesn't want to get used to it.

For example, I bought him a pack of boxer briefs by accident. The first time he put them on he hated them. He said he didn't like the way they rubbed his legs. I made him wear them for three days before he could go back to old underpants. At the end of the three days they didn't bother him anymore.

I try to make sure they understand that just because something is uncomfortable at first that doesn't mean they can never wear. I want them to learn to get used to new things.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM
My oldest had sensory issues. His biggest was soft pants. He hated jeans. We lived in sweats and athletic type pants for awhile. Found a few brands on khakis and jeans that he tolerated. Eventually we out grew it.

My youngest currently has a thing his shoes have to be tight. His poor feet but he hates them loss.

As for the pants I found bringing ods with me shopping helped. He got to feel the inside of the pants before buying them. Winter was the best because I could buy lined jeans and khakis. As for dress pants a good pair will be softer so that made it easier. I'm not a big jean person so it never bothered me that he didn't wear them. To be honest I'm not a fan of how they feel. If rather be in skirts or slacks so guess I have some sensory issues too.
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I've never really had an issue like that.  My oldest nephew is OCD and it affects his clothing.

family in the van   Mom of four

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM

My son has SPD and deals with the same issues. The only easy fix to that is to work around all his sensory problems. He may not have SPD, but I would get him tested just to rule it out.

How old is your son, and how bad are these issues? Has there been any other sesnory problems?

MedicMommy2
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

My dd has SPD and her pants and shorts either have to be painted on so she can't feel the seams rub or have super soft seams. We just shop around and with therapy we are starting to wear other things.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Makes me glad that the only issue I have is my 8yo dd won't wear anything but dresses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:48 AM
He is 9. I have wondered about a SPD however here things work differently. They have said ADD. But he is also majorly bothered by noise when trying to study, and then this with clothes.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

My son has SPD and deals with the same issues. The only easy fix to that is to work around all his sensory problems. He may not have SPD, but I would get him tested just to rule it out.

How old is your son, and how bad are these issues? Has there been any other sesnory problems?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:50 AM
Oh he does wear them. And has always. But most of the time i notice he is miserable. Squirmy, fidgety, etc. he wants to look nice, and i want him to concentrate. ;)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

When I notice my son getting like about something I make him wear the clothes he doesn't want to get used to it.

For example, I bought him a pack of boxer briefs by accident. The first time he put them on he hated them. He said he didn't like the way they rubbed his legs. I made him wear them for three days before he could go back to old underpants. At the end of the three days they didn't bother him anymore.

I try to make sure they understand that just because something is uncomfortable at first that doesn't mean they can never wear. I want them to learn to get used to new things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:51 AM
What brands have you found that he liked?

Quoting ljmom24: My oldest had sensory issues. His biggest was soft pants. He hated jeans. We lived in sweats and athletic type pants for awhile. Found a few brands on khakis and jeans that he tolerated. Eventually we out grew it.

My youngest currently has a thing his shoes have to be tight. His poor feet but he hates them loss.

As for the pants I found bringing ods with me shopping helped. He got to feel the inside of the pants before buying them. Winter was the best because I could buy lined jeans and khakis. As for dress pants a good pair will be softer so that made it easier. I'm not a big jean person so it never bothered me that he didn't wear them. To be honest I'm not a fan of how they feel. If rather be in skirts or slacks so guess I have some sensory issues too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)