Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Half days in kindergarten?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:50 AM
  • 36 Replies
So school starts in 3 weeks and I'm just finding out that the first 5 days will be early release at 11:30. So I'll have to find someone to pick up dd and keep her until I'm off work and also pick up my oldest at the same school at 3:20. Wth?! They did not do this for the last two years. Anyone else having new school scheduling?
*** Update***
The first day is a 45 min orientation only :-( the next 2 days out at 11:30, then 1 full day, then 11:30 day, then finally regular scheduling. What a mess! I would still be pissed if I was a SAHM instead of a working mom. Okay rant over. Ugh!
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 6:36 AM
We'll be in a brand new school building that will house Pre-k through 8th grade. We will be adjacent to the high school. We have no clue what it's all going to look like as far as traffic, schedule, etc.
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:46 AM
No. K does start a later date than the other grades.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Our school day will be extended by 20 minutes. I am thrilled to have more time with my students each day.

You could call the school and see if they have suggestions for childcare. I'm sure lots of parents are in the same boat as you, I would be. They might even something on site for the kids to stay until regular pick up.

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Our school used to let the kindergartners out at 1:30 p.m. until after Labor Day.  They did it to ease the students into a full-day schedule.  See if the school doesn't have a plan in place for situations like your's.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM

when my oldest started kindergarten we had that issue. Complicating matters I was 9 months pregnant so didn't have a lot of time off to spare if I wanted to get paid during my leave. Luckily we had grandparents to help out because that is also DH busy time. Youngest is starting this year and I am hoping they changed half a day start. Most of the kids are in some sort of child care/preschool so used to being away from mom and dad so while I see years ago that was helpful now a days its different.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM
No.
LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM

no school starts the same time around here 8:31 am to 2:55 expect for half day am kindergarten they get out at 11:55.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM

No, our school doesn't do anything like that with kindergarten.  They go a full day from the very beginning.

Our school's big change is that our elementary Principal is now the Superintendant and one of the fourth grade teachers is now elementary Principal.  It should be interesting to see how that goes.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Our kindergarten started a day later than the rest of the school, which was a little weird, and the first day was a half day also. I think it had to do with transitioning the really little kids with as little chaos as possible.

My kids' school offers half-day kindergarten though - which we did with our first child because her sister was still in pre-school. I obviously didn't mind it.

I can see how this would be a little annoying for a working mom, though.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

here K starts the following week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN