Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Longer school day?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Max
  • 168 Replies

How would you feel about your child's school adding time to the school day?

Our district is adding twenty minutes of instructional time to each school day. The kids will get dismissed 20 minutes later.

It's not costing the district anything because the teacher day isn't being extended. The teacher work day was always 30 minutes more than the student day. So now we will only have 10 minutes in the morning before the kids get in and our duty day will end right when the kids are dismissed.

I haven't run across a teacher who is bothered by it, but I do think it's kind of sneaky of the district to not extend the teacher day as well. We still have just as much to do. So like we already do, we will stay beyond our contracted hours. Now we will just stay another 20 minutes. So they will get an extra 100 minutes a week out of all their employees for free.  That's 60 hours a year- almost two weeks of extra work.

I just found out parents in the district are protesting. Apparently some parents are very upset by the schedule change. How would you feel about it?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM

What is the reason for extending the day?  Will you be ending school earlier in the spring?  I'm not sure how I would feel about a longer school day.   There are pros and cons of it.  Our building is starting 10 minutes earlier this year than the other buildings in our district.  The reason: our new principal just didn't like starting at 8:10 a.m.  We will be getting out 10 minutes earlier also so the day hasn't increased any.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM
We have a few extended day schools here. They run from 7:30 to 3:30. I wouldn't have an issue with kids school going to that. They tried to do it for all schools in city but state will only approve a handful so only one school got approved. It was my second choice of schools. Only downside of it was they get a lot if the troubled kids kicked out of other schools. That's one reason it was #2 not first choice. Plus it's not close to us so harder to get to I. Rush hour traffic. Plus it's one of 4 schools in same busy street.

Sil teachers in a city that also tried to get the extended learning. Teachers were more upset then parents. Seemed to be a similar vibe when there was talk of it in our town but I didn't have kids in school at that time so was just going by what I read.

Most charte schools also have similar hours here
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Quoting CometGirl:

What is the reason for extending the day?  Will you be ending school earlier in the spring?  I'm not sure how I would feel about a longer school day.   There are pros and cons of it.  Our building is starting 10 minutes earlier this year than the other buildings in our district.  The reason: our new principal just didn't like starting at 8:10 a.m.  We will be getting out 10 minutes earlier also so the day hasn't increased any.

So we have more time for instruction. That's the why the teachers are happy about it. The one thing we always need is more instructional time.

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Ours were lessened here a few yrs ago.

Used to be 8am to to 3:45pm.

They are now 8:45am to 2:30pm

So I know they wouldn't get extended for us. Lol

I'm.sure how I'd feel.
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends on a lot of things. If you are doing it to balance out the day, I dont think Id mind so much. Example: adding in 20minutes to comp for snow days or so that the kids can have more brain breaks then ok. Just to add 20 minutes to hopefully up test scores? Not so ok. My daughters had a hard enough time when they went to a charter school that was 30 minutes away and they got out at 3:20. We were home at almost 4 and because my girls couldnt have protein at bedtime we had to have dinner, then homework, then bedtime routine by 6:30 so they would be asleep by 8. It left no time for downtime for them M-F. Adding an extra 20 minutes would have been very diffficult indeed. Not to mention a lot of sports start at 5:30. So not sure how that would work with parents trying to get their children to practice on time with homework finished and dinner eaten.
Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:30 AM
4 moms liked this
I think it's great for the kids but it sucks for the teachers. On the other hand, the teachers sound like all the other salaried employees i know, like myself. This is the expectation of professionals; stay till the work gets done.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Our school hours are being extended a little this year as well. 745-315

I'm not sure what the teacher hours will be yet. I know initially we are to be at school by 7AM. I'm not sure how long that will last or what time we'll be dismissed.

With our new school building and Pre-k through 8th grade all together, there are a lot of uncertainties.

I really don't see why school days are extended. Most kids these days are mentally checked out by 1:30 or 2:00. Adding time to the school day doesn't really do much as far as helping with instruction.

We have a longer than required school day already and adding this 15 minutes each day will make it longer. The good thing is that it adds to our contact hours. When we were out for inclement weather, we didn't have to make up any days because we had more than enough contact hours. But truly, as I mentioned, I don't think making the day longer really helps any in the long run.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Quoting Bookwormy: I think it's great for the kids but it sucks for the teachers. On the other hand, the teachers sounds like all the other salaried employees i know, like myself. This is the expectation of professionals; stay till the work gets done.

It is, but our salary is based on the hours we are contracted to work.

When the union negotiates our salary they look at hourly wages of other districts and other professionals. It's a very flawed system since our contact hours are a joke. No teacher I know actually works even close to those hours.

What my contract says I work hourly would be great if I got paid even close to the hours I actually worked.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:34 AM
It wouldn't work here. Not all the elementary schools in our district start and end at the same time, if a change was decided it would make more since for all the elementary schools to have the same start and end time.

I wouldn't like it. My boys get out at 3:45, the school day is long enough for them.
haileys_mommy06
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:35 AM
I found out in the paper that our school days are extended! Instead of 8:45-2:50 it'll be 8:15-3:30. I'm not happy about it. By the time we get home it'll be after 4. They will be entering kindergarten and 3rd grade.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN