Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: How can I help my son who struggles with reading...

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 35 Replies

How can I help my son who struggles with reading and anything with words gain confidence and be successful in this area?  confused

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

How old is your son? What have you been trying so far?

OrangeBalloon
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I don't know how old your son is, but some public libraries have a cool program where the kids can read to a dog. I know that might sound weird, but the dogs are a great comfort and they won't judge or criticize the way he reads. He can build confidence that way and will look forward to spending time with the dog. 

If you have a dog at home, making some cuddle time between them might be good. And he can tell stories to your pet. He could do this with a cat too. Good luck. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:20 AM
If your son is already in school, have they evaluated him to determine what his areas of weakness are? If not, that's where I would start. That way you know what he needs the most work on.

How often are you and he reading together?
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:03 AM

How old is he? What part of reading does he struggle with?

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Read with him every day. Pick books just slightly above his comfort level so he can get used to working a little harder. Help him learn how to sound out words.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Have him re-read books. Make sure he is reading the exact words that are there, not the words he thinks are there because he knows the story already. This will increase his fluency which will increase his confidence. Once he has totally mastered a book, move on to another one.

If comprehension is his issue, after each chapter or every few pages, ask him questions and/or discuss what is going on in the story so far so he's also thinking about the story while reading it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifemomblesssed
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Quoting Barabell:

How old is your son? What have you been trying so far?

He is 10.  This has been something that he has been struggling with since 1st or second grade.  His comprehension is not where it should be, and it is hard for him to focus so he gets frustrated and starts to feel defeated says he feels dumb.  I have tried reading with him.  Letting him read to me.  Writing a paragraph after he reads a chapter and hooked on phonics.  I recently took him to the eye doctor and they prescribed him glasses to help with his focus issue and he is a bit far sited.  

Everyone has given such good insight I will try everything.  I don't want him to feel dumb because my 11 year is SUPER advanced and he sees that. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have him read a story and throughout ask questions about what is happening and why. That's how I learned comprhension I was around 11 when my mom sought out help. I had a professional help me that way.
awatson
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My 8 yr old son struggles with reading, mostly the confidence. What I started doing since he would start shinning every time I tried to get him to sit down and read to me is I would pick a low level book and ask him to read it to his younger brothers. And with his little brothers in awe of their big brother reading to them his confidence started to grow and he started picking books a little harder!
wifemomblesssed
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I don't know how old your son is, but some public libraries have a cool program where the kids can read to a dog. I know that might sound weird, but the dogs are a great comfort and they won't judge or criticize the way he reads. He can build confidence that way and will look forward to spending time with the dog. 

If you have a dog at home, making some cuddle time between them might be good. And he can tell stories to your pet. He could do this with a cat too. Good luck. 

I don't think that sounds weird.  It is something I am willing to try.  I am open to most ideas that I haven't tried before.  Thanks! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN