Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 8 year old

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 8 year old thinks reading books is boring. I absolutely LOVE reading and have tried numerous times to convince him that reading can be fun if he uses his imagination. Do you have any suggestions on this?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Are you picking out the books or is he?  IMO, children should be able to read whatever interests them, not what you think they should be reading.

clairewait
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I always say, "If you don't think you like reading, it means you haven't found the right book."

It is definitely hard to tap into a non-reader's reading interest, but in my experience, one book can change everything.

I'd probably start by reading chapter books WITH him, out loud. Just do 10 minutes at first and build up. Get a feel for what he likes.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM
I agree. Let him pick out ANY book in the library, no matter the level. If it's over his level, read with him.

My son is 8 and will be 9 in November. He just told me yesterday how much he loves reading now. This is a recent development.

This avid reading/school teacher momma is very happy he's finally loving reading.
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM

My 8 year old loves to read!  Only child that does though...

family in the van   Mom of four

DACIA79
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM
What does he have a interest in.

I'm not a fan of novels. I've read them but most were in High school and college. I enjoyed a few but not many.

My grandma was a nurse I enjoyed reading her books . To keep me reading my grandma would buy me medical books.

My 9yr old doesn't like to read but he has a lot of different interests. In order to keep him reading I buy him boys to cater to those interest, Science, Animals, Cars, Robotics etc...
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I agree with the others, let him find books in topics he's interested in already.

I am trying to find fiction that my 7 yo will read.  He prefers non-fiction. But he also loves to read, so for me its more of a wanting him to learn to enjoy a good fiction story.  I think part of his issue may be that he's very literal & just wants to read about things that are real and actually happened.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It can take some kids longer to find what they like to read than others. Ds1 didn't like to read for fun until he was in 6th gr and he discovered The Ranger's Apprentice series.

Let him pick out books at the library. If he's into superheroes, let him read comic books. Let him try graphic novels. Find a subject he's interested in and let him read non-fiction or biographies.

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Until a child reaches the point where he or she reads by phrases instead of word.by. word., reading isn't much fun.  For some kids this automaticity comes early on.  Other people, no matter what they do or how hard they try, never get to the place where it's like a movie in your head.

sakpoints
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I definatley agree with the others let him pick.  What are his interests?  Maybe try magazines or even comic books if it seems like a book is to daunting.

clairewait
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Random thought, but my kids also LOVE books on tape or CD (we actually are borrowing an old record player with a bunch of old Disney stories on record with books that go with it and they LOVE them).

The library has a huge array of books with an audio, so they can read and listen along. I want to say my oldest was into these as a pre-schooler, and eventually she figured out how to follow along with the reading.

It took a lot of pressure (and time) off me to be reading all day. We always do books before bed, but she'd listen to the CD's for quiet time in the afternoons, sometimes for more than an hour.

It is a great alternative to TV if you can get him interested.

And I also agree that it doesn't really matter if he's reading books "on his level" right now. I let mine read anything. Books that are too hard, books with pictures, magazines, whatever. I just want reading to be something that is entertainment right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)