Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

if your son/daughter has a cell phone i need advice!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM
  • 78 Replies
I'm not wanting opinions on if they should or shouldn't. The decision to get D's a phone has already been made. I'm wondering if we should go the prepaid route, or talk to our carrier about adding him. What did you do for your child? If you looked into various options what ended up being the cheapest? Thanks!
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids don't have cell phones but I would go the prepaid route. Cricket has plans as low as 25$ a month unlimited minutes
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

No advice we have decided yes just haven't made the purchase yet so inteterested in the responses. I was thinking prepaid and now I am thinking just add him to our plan. DH and I need new phones soon so thinking when we upgrade. He wants an iphone, we laughed, but mine is still ok so maybe for a trial but then I am thinking if it goes before the contract is up I am screwed. Normally thinking no on smart phone for first go around but want to see what is free or cheap from our carrier with the plan. I am still thinking of pre paid but DH leaning towards adding a line.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM

We do the prepaid route. We decided to go with Virgin Mobil b/c they have contract and prepaid options, it's unlimited talk, text, data and 300 talk minutes/month. It's $35/month (plus tax).

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Dd has a firefly on contract 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM
3 moms liked this

It was cheaper in the long run to add my son to our plan.  His phone was free and his line only costs us $10/month for unlimited talk and texting.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

HUH?

Quoting mumsy2three:

We do the prepaid route. We decided to go with Virgin Mobil b/c they have contract and prepaid options, it's unlimited talk, text, data and 300 talk minutes/month. It's $35/month (plus tax).

ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Does he have a phone that doesn't allow internet? We don't want him to have a data plan or internet access.

Quoting steelcrazy:

It was cheaper in the long run to add my son to our plan.  His phone was free and his line only costs us $10/month for unlimited talk and texting.

ba13ygrl1987
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:28 AM
What she said. I'm confused too.

Quoting steelcrazy:

HUH?

Quoting mumsy2three:

dlock25
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
It's cheaper most of the time to add to an already existing bill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tossed
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I did the prepaid to avoid the charges for excess texts or calls. I heard too many horror stories. The Straight Talk plan at WalMart was best for us. 1500 minutes a month and 1000 texts for $30 or unlimited for $45.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN