• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying a birthday present

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
  • 27 Replies

We have some friends who give their kids everything.  The kids respect and appreciate nothing.  Over the years, I've just stopped putting any thought into their presents because I know it'll be forgotten about and never appreciated.  Their oldest turned 8 last month and we just bought a small Lego set.  The child opened the presents amidst chaos with no parent supervising and things were just thrown around.  My oldest watched him open his present, get essentially no response and then move on to another present.  My son just shrugged his shoulders and walked away.  It made me sad because I know he was hoping for a "best give ever" response but also doesn't realize that I'm not willing to spend a ton on a "perfect" present because I know it won't matter.  I tried buying him a board game once thinking it would be fun for their whole family to sit down together.  Huge backfire.  I asked them once if they play games and the kids were like "just video games".  

Anyway.  The middle child is having his birthday party this weekend and I'm not sure how to buy the gift.  I don't like seeing my son disappointed when the child doesn't LOVE his present but can't explain to him that the child really won't LOVE any present for more than 5 mins because he's never been taught to be grateful.  I don't want to just waste $25+ just cuz.

How would you handle this? 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Give him a gift card ...who doeant love cash?
Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I've considered that but I know it would be lost immediately. They really have no appreciation

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Give him a gift card ...who doeant love cash?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I would sit my child down and attempt to explain that the other children are ungreatful little brats who appreciate nothing since their parents spoil them beyond belief.  Although I'd try to find some nicer words.  lol

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I wish I could say it just that way! The kids' home life is a mess so I try to be kind but I have my limits.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would sit my child down and attempt to explain that the other children are ungreatful little brats who appreciate nothing since their parents spoil them beyond belief.  Although I'd try to find some nicer words.  lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Get him candy. He won't appreciate it anyway, but most kids LOVE sugar so maybe he will, but if he doesn't candy is cheap so whatever.

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM
That's a really interesting idea!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Get him candy. He won't appreciate it anyway, but most kids LOVE sugar so maybe he will, but if he doesn't candy is cheap so whatever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM
I like the above suggestions.
LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Cash or gift card.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I would set a price limit and just find something that fits it. I would also teach DS that looking for the best gift ever reaction isn't always realistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do the candy idea...most kids are happy to get it no matter how much they get, maybe it will get a reaction your son will be happy with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)