Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feeling both guilty and excited EDIT

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:32 AM
  • 11 Replies
DD is 7, going into 3rd grade. This upcoming year will be started at a new school... her 3rd new school since kindergarten. We moved a few towns over after 1st grade, then sent her to private school for 2nd. Unfortunately the private route didnt work for us, but dd made friends and felt at home there. So my husband and I talked and talked and talked and finally made the decision to consider our local school. We asked dd for her opinion and this kid is so resilient that she happily agreed to switching schools AGAIN. We were apprehensive because we live in new york city... and well the schools here aren't amazing. But if she does well she'll have some great opportunities for specialized high schools and even some middle schools. If she doesn't work hard she could have a sub par education. Im incredibly involved and will literally do whatever it takes to help and support my daughter. I just feel so intimidated by the letters PS and a random number lol we came from small town, then small private school and now... a school thats built for 400 but has 800 kids. I have a meeting with the principal in august and she basically said over the phone that she'd love to meet me and discuss any fears or expectations with me. My emotions are so mixed, because on one hand, im feeling terrible that my daughter has to start over but on another, im excited to be able to be a normal human being at a public school again. And I know absolutely nothing about the school! I really just dont want this summer to end!!

So I just got home from my meeting with the principal. She was so wonderful and it made me really excited for my daughter. She answered all my questions and then some. She said even though it's a city school she's worked hard to give it a suburb school feeling. She showed me examples of the school newsletter and calender. A police officer sits by the door all day which I really like. I have a good feeling! Thanks for all the encouragement ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM

I am sure she will be fine and where you live, I am sure there are plenty of outside of school enrichment classes your dd could take with the money saved from private school tuition.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

With a mother as involved as you are, your DD will do just fine in any school.  Involved parents are the single best thing for kids to be successful in school.

Good luck with the new school!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I absolutely agree that with you being so involved, she'll be great. Kids are very resilient. If you can, volunteer in the school and that way you can know first hand how it's going.

Quoting GwenMB:

With a mother as involved as you are, your DD will do just fine in any school.  Involved parents are the single best thing for kids to be successful in school.

Good luck with the new school!

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Most kids adapt easily.  We have moved around a lot and thus our kids had to switch schools.  Good luck.

family in the van   Mom of four

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Don't let it being a public school scare you off. As involved as it sounds like you are, she should do great no matter what kind of school she's in.

SadiasMomma
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Thanks ladies!!! I'm going to join the pta and make it my mission to be there S often as possible lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Kids are resilient - when we moved, my DD had been going to the same school from 1st - 3rd and had several BFFs.  We moved to another school district but because she was attending a Fine Arts Magnet, she had the option to continue with the same school thru 5th Grade.  She chose to switch schools.

It actually worked out best all around - not only did it save ME from having 2 kids in 2 different elementary schools (different districts/times), ultimately, it's how she got to know so many new friends in our very own neighborhood.

I think she'll do great and with you as involved as you plan to be - it will all work out.  It's great that the principal is willing to meet with you to discuss things...best of luck!

babynurse244
by Beth on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM
I' work with adults who were military kids and they moved a lot, like a new school every year. They are amazing people and so excited about life. They also seem to have a different attitude towards things and ate much more flexible as adults. Your dd will probably do great.
sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM
As involved as you plan to be she will be fine. She also sound adventurous and resilient. Handling such major changes with ease at a young age will give her great life skills as an adult.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM
It's great that she's so open to change! Between her attitude and your involvement, it should be a good year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)