Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Too Lie or not too

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:40 AM
  • 134 Replies

I've been struggling since my dd came home from camp yesterday on what to do.  The group went to a local water park and one of the area's at the park the kids needed to be 10 years or older to go in unless a parent was present.  With it being camp, usually no parents go.  My dd and her partner are three months shy of 10 and the partner through a fit because my daughter refused to lie about her age.  The camp teacher told my dd to lie as well.  We've taught my dd that lying is bad and that there are rules for a reason.  Am I way off on this and should my dd have lied seeing that they are so close to being 10?

In the end because of my dd refusal, they didn't go into the area.  But now I'm worried about the retaliation that she may have to endure for her honesty.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I think with being so close to 10, there's no harm in lying. 

JulietAngel89
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM
12 moms liked this

I think there are some things that you can white lie about and other things that you shouldnt lie about. 

I think you should teach your DD about the difference.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM
14 moms liked this

This is definitly a tough one.

While I think this is a situation where a white lie would have been OK. I also think it's very difficult for kids to understand the concept of a white lie. At her age, adults telling her to lie is very confusing.

I would just praise her for being so honest and explain why other people think it would have been OK to lie.

I do think she needs to talk to her friend. While I don't think your daughter did anything wrong, I do think she should apologize. The other child did miss out because of her. Hopefully the other child will be understanding.

HaroldsMom
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:32 AM
14 moms liked this

NO I don't think it was right for them to tell your child to lie. I do mad as hell if someone told my son to lie.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM
28 moms liked this

I do think it's crappy of the camp to even put the kids in that situation. They shouldn't take them somewhere where all the kids can't participate. Or they should have been clear that the younger kids wouldn't be going in that area of the park.  I would not be OK with the camp telling my child to lie.

indymom72
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this.

Quoting JulietAngel89:

I think there are some things that you can white lie about and other things that you shouldnt lie about. 

I think you should teach your DD about the difference.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM
6 moms liked this

My parents used to lie about things like that and I still learned the difference when its ok to lie and when it isnt.

Peephy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM
26 moms liked this

I for one think you should be giving your daughter a lot of praise for honesty - it is so hard to come by nowadays.  She sounds like a strong girl, especially considering she didn't give in to peer pressure or from the pressure of an adult!  You should be proud :) 

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM
4 moms liked this
First...way to go!! Under the pressure of kids and adults your dd did not cave that is awesome!!! Yes this is an area she could have but like someone else said, they should not be taking the kids somewhere they all can not be. I would be asking the camp why are they going places like that and what if something happened why she was in that area. A few months is really no big deal but when something happens the water will make a huge deal out of it.
Serabeth06
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM
14 moms liked this

Honestly, I think that was an awesome lesson for your DD in avoiding caving to peer pressure. If my daughter did what yours did, I would be quite proud of her. There are rules for a reason, and I think it's commendable that even with pressure from the girl and the teacher, she stuck to her guns and refused to be a liar. Not getting to go into an area where they weren't supposed to be because they weren't old enough isn't something she should feel bad about, and I would make sure she knew it. Way to go mom. (:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN