Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Charter or public school

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
  • 32 Replies
HI ladies,
So as the school year approaches I am finding my self nervous and stressed. We got out daughter in a k-12 charter school.and she got into the public K-8 that we wanted. We are proceeding going to an assessment at the charter school. It is something that I know could be great but there are so many does and donts for my daughter and us that I feel the school is more of a lifestyle. I just want to know if anyone has had to make the decision. I know my husband just wants tge best for her and I do as well but I don't want her to be sheltered from the world. I want her to live and be who she is while still getting an amazing.education. Thank you
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM

What are the does & don'ts of the charter school?

It's really hard for any of us to advise you about public vs charter as the schools vary so much by area.

I'd probably go ahead with the assessment at the charter school & then do a pros & cons list of both schools and go from there.

TurboMom81
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I agree with the pros and cons list idea.  I'm pretty happy with our public school district so I never looked into charter schools before.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I have no clue. We are doing private school this year instead of homeschooling. I'm not a fan of public school of any kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM

We have great public schools here, most are much better than any of the private schools.  Many of the Charter schools in my area have been dealing with fraud charges.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
You need to judge each school on it's own merit. Getting a title p (charter or magnet) doesnt always mean a school is great and "public" doesn't have to mean awful. Take tours of both and meet the staff.

Look at things like how much homework is required, length of school days, extra activities offered, dress code vs uniforms, transportation (walk, bus, will you drive, etc.) Look at discipline policy.

We use an independent homeschool based program and could not be happier with the programs and freedoms. Other people could not deal with the added work for Mom and other things homeschooling requires.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Our kids have always gone to a public school.  Weigh out the pros and cons of both and go with the one with the most pros would be my advice.

family in the van   Mom of four

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Charter school differ from state to state. We have a charter school in my town that is rank in the top 25 school in country BUT the discourage special ed and ESL kids. Within the state our department of education has been cracking down on them for the lack of diversitty in their enrollment, their unwillingness to open their books (for what is technically a public school they seem to have a lot of money to purchase large amounts of land) and some other shady issues involving politicians who sit on the board refuse to step down and have tons of family memebers working in the school. The state pressured them that they need to offer special ed so the new special ed director is the current chairman of the board of trustee sister. That chairman is also a city councelor in the city the school is where they also keep buying land from the city. The most recent battle between the dept of ed and the school is the dept of ed wants him to step down before they will grant an expansion. He won't step down yet school families and those trying to get in are blaming dept of ed. Clearly dept of ed is seeing red flags and they aren't the only ones but the people drinking the kool aid think people are trying to attack school because they had high test scores. Du'h you aren't educating the challenging kids. If the surrounding school dstricts have more then double the amount of special ed and ELS kids its going to reflect in their result even with accominidation.

We look at them when it was time to register my oldest but he was in speech and heard from more then one source to stay away. Of course we look like bitter oh your kid didn't get in but no my kid was never even entered into the library. I had a very nice talk with a person on the phone asking questions until I got to the speech was placed on hold and then told someone would need to call me back and they never did. hmmm maybe there is something to what I was told. Got confirmation from some former teachers. Kids are basically assesed from k-2 grade if they have reason to believe they will be poor testers school is made rather unpleasant until they want to leave.

Not all schools are like this. Even in my state some are great. Its like any school its who runs it that really makes the different. if you know anyone in the schools or with exprience ask around. Don't just go on one experience too. Even a good school can rub someone the worng way but if you see a trend that would raise a flag. I don't trust on line reviews even. If your state has ranking check that too.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM

What is it about the do's and don'ts that make it a "lifestyle"?

I'd make list of all the pros and cons of each school. Charter schools, even within the same district, can vary greatly. And it depends on what you need from the school.

Personally, we are very happy w/ the public schools in our district. We're one of the top ones in our state, but I will be one of the first to admit that if your child needs more that some pull-out therapy or a 1-on-1 aide to stay in class w/ your child, ours in not the district for you, especially at the elementary level.

Sigmalade
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have seen charter and private schools kids be just as 'worldy' as public school kids. Go with the best educational choice. I wish we had more options. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM
My daughter is in private school and I work at a separate private school. I hardly consider it sheltering my child from the world. It is your child and your decision. You do WhT is best for your family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)