Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: Tips for Back to school shopping Budget is extremally tight...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM
  • 39 Replies

Tips for Back to school shopping?? Budget is extremally tight this year but need to get a new backpack, shoes, school supplies and a few new clothing. Any suggestions / tips / ideas on how to do this on little $$??

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemytwo88
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Buy a little at a time. I would've started at the beginning of summer with shoes/clothes and buy the supplies now. Break it up over the next few wks and just get things here and there where u can afford it.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

My best advice is that you know that you have this expense every year, either start shopping early or put money aside every paycheck for back to school shopping.

In a pinch, check local churches and civic groups to see if they are giving away back to school supplies, some give backpacks along with the needed school supplies.  For clothing, hit up Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.  Some churches will also help out with clothing and shoes for those in dire need.

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Clearance rack and sales. Sign up for newsletters from your favorite stores and shop on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when they have their best sales. If you like something on a display take it down. I have gotten really cute items that were knocked down to the lowest clearance price because it's hanging on a wall instead of the rack. Don't feel bad about getting a crappy backpack. You can replace it with a nice one at Christmas when they go on sale.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Goodwill and consignment shops for clothes.

Check local churches and Boys & Girls clubs for backpack/school supply handouts.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I do goodwill and clearance racks for clothes. Even now since it is summer I do yard sales. With actual supplies I watch for sales. I got crayons for 50 cents and notebooks for 19 cents so far this year. I haven't had to pick up much. You can even get backpacks at goodwill. If you have extra money after school starts hit up the clearance for backpacks and other items. I got 2 brand new backpacks from Salvation Army for $3 one year.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
We did Once Upon A Child for clothes and Ross for shoes and backpacks. School supplies? Good luck with that. We spent less on clothes and such than we did on school supplies for 3 kids. Their "required" list was outrageous!
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Here the local schools handle the handout of school supplies.  Otherwise, garage sales, thrift stores, clearance racks etc.

momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Every year I see stories on the news of various agencies conducting a back to school program where they hand out a backpack full of school supplies, give out shoes and what not.  They might have something like that in your area.

Ladybugmama86
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I've been picking up clothes all summer here and there, mostly at thrift stores/yard sales, or when they clear out one season for the next, clearance racks. Today we went and got shoes, back packs and lunch boxes and put them on layaway at K-Mart. All three of my dds birthdays are sept and Oct, so we have school starting, a week later my dds birthday and then the next two right after that, and of course planning for the holidays directly after that. So after last year, my oldest dd started kindergarten, and we dropped $300 it was REALLY hard. So this year I've already got the birthdays planned and most of the supplies bought, so I can get school out of the way next. 

Also, since you dont have a lot of time, get what they NEED now, shoes, a couple outfits, backpack, lunch box and supplies and over the school year add an oufit every couple weeks, it will help spread the costs out and they will enjoy getting the new clothes (at least my kids love it).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

If you live in a town with a Sears Outlet store, go to their Facebook page every Tuesday.  There's usually a great coupon like "get one child's item free," or "Buy one, get one free, "  good on Tuesday only.  Most of their kids' clothes are $7 but the clearance racks are usually half to 75% off that price.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN