Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about comparing state testing to IOWA testing.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

I just received dd's scores for the OAA's (Ohio state test) and her IOWA test of basic skills test. Her weak areas don't match at all. IE she scored proficient in data analysis on the OAA but her problem solving and data interpretation on the IOWA test (nationally compared vs state) was 99%. Her Fall reading score vs the Spring are higher by 28 pts and she went from above proficient to below in Literary Text. She says that she had to pee and she was distracted. She was also sick for the Spring test so I am sure that effected her score. The state gives them the higher of the two scores.

I am just wondering why the two tests show different areas of strength and weaknesses?

The IOWA test breaks it down a lot more and the areas they show strength vs weakness match much more closely to what we know about her. IE she only scored 52% in punctuation and we know she hates to punctuate so that wasn't a surprise. Her composite score was still 95% so I am not concerned too much.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM

We don't do IOWA testing here, so I have no idea.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Thanks for reading and responding anyway. :)

Quoting steelcrazy:

We don't do IOWA testing here, so I have no idea.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Would the school be able to help you?

i took the Iowa test in school, but my boys don't take it.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Probably once school starts in Sept. I don't really think that standardized tests are all that accurate anyway it just seemed off to me.

Quoting GwenMB:

Would the school be able to help you?

i took the Iowa test in school, but my boys don't take it.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I have no idea. My kids take NWEA (national test; I remember taking it and I lived in different states) and ISTEP (Indiana's test), and their scores are pretty equal to each other.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I am sure that part of it was her being sick for the Spring OAA. Her Fall reading matches much more closely reading wise. Idk what to think about the math though she did overall better in math on both tests.

Quoting wakymom:

I have no idea. My kids take NWEA (national test; I remember taking it and I lived in different states) and ISTEP (Indiana's test), and their scores are pretty equal to each other.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't really compare the two. They are different types of tests. Here's info that hopefully will help: http://www.revere.k12.oh.us/Page/122

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Don't read too much into either test.

The state tests are really just to make sure your school is on track.  Occasionally schools will tell parents what their kid did individually, but really the only thing it tells you is if your kid is above the state average or not.   

The Iowa Test of Basic Skills will give you more information on your individual child, but not much.  Basically if your child takes the ITBS in third grade, he/she is compared on how he/she does on third grade material and nothing else.

If your child scored at the 95th percentile on the ITBS, it does not mean that your child got 95% correct.  It means that if 100 third graders were chosen at random to take this test, your child would score better than 94 of them and below 4 others..   It does not tell you if your child is capable of 4th grade work, 6th grade work, or high school level work.  It just means he/she is better than more 3rd graders at third-grade level work.

More and more schools are dropping the ITBS in favor of the Measures of Academic Progress test.  Each child takes that test individually on a computer.  As he get a question right, the questions get harder, and as he answers incorrectly.  Eventually each child gets an individual score that shows exactly where he/she is in both reading and math. 

That being said, I defintiely remember tanking a portion of the ITBS when I was about in third grade (about 1967?).  I got mixed up matching my answers to the bubble-in answer sheet and I scored something like 4th percentile.  My parents were very concerned but they never asked me why I scored so badly.  I didn't tell them until I ran across my old scores when I was an adult.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I know what the percentile ranks and such mean. She attends a gifted charter school that works ahead so I expected her to do well. I am also pretty sure that 99 is the highest percentile on the test. She has also taken the Woodcock Johnson which tests them as high as they can go but is has been awhile since she took it in 11/12. I was just confused by a few scores on the OAA that compare to what is tested on the IOWA test not matching up and her score drop in the reading. I am just attributing it to a bad testing day. She still scored well. Her school also did a different reading test last Fall that placed her reading and comprehension levels around 10th grade.

Quoting JanetteA:

lDon't read too much into either test.

The state tests are really just to make sure your school is on track.  Occasionally schools will tell parents what their kid did individually, but really the only thing it tells you is if your kid is above the state average or not.   

The Iowa Test of Basic Skills will give you more information on your individual child, but not much.  Basically if your child takes the ITBS in third grade, he/she is compared on how he/she does on third grade material and nothign else.

If your child scored at the 95th percentile on the ITBS,, it does not mean that your child got 95% correct.  It means that if 95 third graders were chosen at random to take this test, your child would score better than 94 of them and below 5 of them.   It does not tell you if your child is capable of 4th grade work, of 6th grade work, or high school level work.  It just means he/she is better than more 3rd graders at third-grade level work.

More and more schools are dropping the ITBS in favor of the Measures of Academic Progress test.  Each child takes that test individually on a computer.  As he get a question right, the questions get harder, and as he answers incorrectly.  Eventually each child gets an individual score that shows exactly where he/she is in both reading and math. 

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I didn''t mean to insult your intelligence, but when you use a basic term (percent vs. percentile) incorrectly, you leave the impression that this is a new subject area for you..

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I know what the percentile ranks and such mean. She attends a gifted charter school that works ahead so I expected her to do well. I am also pretty sure that 99 is the highest percentile on the test. She has also taken the Woodcock Johnson which tests them as high as they can go but is has been awhile since she took it in 11/12. I was just confused by a few scores on the OAA that compare to what is tested on the IOWA test not matching up and her score drop in the reading. I am just attributing it to a bad testing day. She still scored well. Her school also did a different reading test last Fall that placed her reading and comprehension levels around 10th grade.

Quoting JanetteA:

lDon't read too much into either test.

The Iowa Test of Basic Skills will give you more information on your individual child, but not much.  Basically if your child takes the ITBS in third grade, he/she is compared on how he/she does on third grade material and nothign else.

If your child scored at the 95th percentile on the ITBS,, it does not mean that your child got 95% correct.  It means that if 95 third graders were chosen at random to take this test, your child would score better than 94 of them and below 5 of them.   It does not tell you if your child is capable of 4th grade work, of 6th grade work, or high school level work.  It just means he/she is better than more 3rd graders at third-grade level work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)