Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

E-mail for kids?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM
  • 62 Replies

When did your child first get a personal e-mail address--or if they don't have one, when do you think you might set one up?

My son has been at a day camp all week and wanted to stay in touch with one of his new friends--my son wanted to write letters to each other like he has recently started trying to do with his favorite cousin that lives out of state.  When the kid asked his mom about it she said "why not just exchange e-mail addresses so you can e-mail or text?"  So the kid asked my son what his e-mail address was...and he looked at me with this weird look of "huh?"  So I had to tell the mom that he doesn't have e-mail yet...these are kids going into 3rd & 4th grade...who has e-mail at this age???  And yes, my son knows what e-mail is, I just never imagined someone would ask him what his was before he even starts 4th grade...

My son ended up giving this other kid his address so he can start the letter writing, but I'll be surprised if anything comes of it (which will suck because he's already disappointed that his cousin has only sent one letter in the 3-4 weeks since they decided to do this...)  I thought later that I could have given them one of my e-mail addresses, but I really didn't want to deal with that either!

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM

My oldest got hers last year at age 14,  rest do not have one yet but they do know the ins and out of technology.  If they needed one I'd set one up but so far there is no need

JanetteA
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Some of the schools around here give kids email accounts when they start kindergarten.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:45 PM

My oldest is only 7, going into 2nd grade. No email account for him yet. Not sure when we'll do one - but I think they get an email account through school in 5th grade for school work purposes.  Although I think they can only email with their teacher & maybe fellow classmates.

I will hold off as long as possible for other purposes.

momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting JanetteA:

Some of the schools around here give kids email accounts when they start kindergarten.

Wow.....and that made me picture them getting twitter accounts.

At #school and it's craft time but @jimmie ate all the paste. #1stworldproblems

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
My 11 year old has had one for awhile. Dh and I both have access to it. He doesn't use it for much he also needed to set up the texting I. His iPod and that he just texts us and his cousins.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM

My boys got school email addresses in either kindergarten or first grade, I forget which.  Both have gmail also and they've had their accounts for several years.  The youngest is 10.

mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM

my daughter had to get a gmail account when I bought her a phone at age 10. she doesn't know the password and probably doesn't even remember what it is.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM

They both got them when they turned 4. My in-laws like to email them and the kids think it is cool. They are 8.5 and 6 now.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

My kids have had email since kindergarten, but it was set up as they went to school. It's connected to their online gradebook. The kids have also set up other email accounts for gaming and such. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Once again I should have read your response BEFORE I typed mine out. Lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys got school email addresses in either kindergarten or first grade, I forget which.  Both have gmail also and they've had their accounts for several years.  The youngest is 10.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)